Hello Guest

Author Topic: Making Sprites with 2dtk  (Read 4274 times)

LambKebab

• View Profile
Making Sprites with 2dtk
« on: May 05, 2013, 05:12:01 pm »
Hi, I have recently purchased 2dtk and am fairly new to Unity, trying to make my first 2D game however I think I might have been mis-sold this product as I dont really understand its benefits and what makes it "so great" particularly because im beginning to worry that the software doesnt even support actually making the sprites and textures themselves!

Therefore could someone please explain in simple terms the benefits of this product and if I cannot make 2D sprites in it then what software they would advise to do so?  I would also appreciate learning how to use this and the tutorial videos are appalling.  Thanks

Copywright

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Re: Making Sprites with 2dtk
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 05:25:20 pm »
I hope didn't expect tk2D to actually make the art assets for you...

The benefits of the software are on the asset store and on the unikron homepage. If you wanted to actually make pixel art then, I'd say get GraphicsGale.

I personally found the video tutorials pretty helpful...

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 07:39:37 pm »
The videos are largely feature demonstrations, not tutorials.

Check out the written walkthrough tutorials here:
http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/doc/
If you are new to all this, I suggest going through all them and the Unity tutorials. It is quite essential that you learn how you do basic things in Unity as well.

As Copyright says the website & asset store page go into detail on what the product does. Note - nowhere on there does it say it draws your sprites, replaces a paint package or make your games for you! :) On the other hand, it does simplify all the tedious things you will have to end up doing when making a 2D game in Unity. It also manages your atlases for you which is essential if you want to make a performant 2D game. It also does animations, tilemaps and other things which one would use in a 2D game.

You are free to draw your sprites in any package you choose - Photoshop, Pixelmator, ASEsprite, Pixen (Mac) all work. I've heard very good things about GraphicsGale too. There are many many options here, some better than others for various tasks.

lazypeon

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 09:10:07 pm »
The way I see 2D Toolkit is that it streamlines the 2D workflow for Unity.  Unity is primarily for building 3D games, and the out-of-the-box experience for 2D games is not very good. 

2D Toolkit adds:
  • UI elements (as of recently) -- super useful!
    Specially configured cameras for 2D
    Automatic building of sprite atlases
    Animation builder (given a set of frames, you can easily build animations from them)

... and a lot more.  I'd still be stuck in Unity 3D if it weren't for 2D Toolkit.

All of the sprite editor suggestions are good, and I'll suggest PyxelEdit as well.