Hello Guest

Author Topic: Collaborative use of the Tile Editor?  (Read 5340 times)

corndog16

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Collaborative use of the Tile Editor?
« on: January 15, 2013, 06:26:40 am »
So A friend of mine and I both purchased 2D Toolkit for use during Ludum Dare 25. He, as the artist, was going to build the level and then pass the data to me, the programer, for further integration into the game. However, we ran into some problems. It seems the data didnt import correctly or something after he sent it to me.

So my question is: How do we work it out so he can create a scene with tilemap data and then send it to me so I can still edit the map and have access to all the data.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Collaborative use of the Tile Editor?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 11:18:21 am »
How are you sharing it? What issues are you experiencing?

Note:
If you want to merge changes from one computer to another, it isn't going to be easy. To stand any chance at all, you should be using text serialization in Unity, and ensure you don't try to merge tilemap or partition sizes changes.

corndog16

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 06:01:06 pm »
We tried sharing it through SVN and when that didnt work, through a skype file transfer. We are not really looking to keep things synced. We just want him to make the map and the send the scene to me.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 06:36:43 pm »
What files did you transfer? What happened on the target machine?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 06:38:36 pm »
Also, did you have meta files turned on?

corndog16

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 06:59:03 pm »
Initially he sent me the Scenes folder (with both scenes in it) and the Tilemap folder. When that didnt work he tried sending me the whole project folder (in an archive) but in both cases, when I tried to load the scenes he created, the maps he made were there as a whole image, but it seemed that none of the tile data was present. I was using tile Id's for checking for tile types that could not be passed by particular sprites and that was not working. I was also unable to edit the tilemap after he sent it.
I do not know about the Metadata you are asking about. Is there something we should try with that?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 12:27:38 pm »
You need to turn on meta files before attempting to share stuff.
http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/ExternalVersionControlSystemSupport.htm
Once you enable this, you won't have to send the libraries folder, and everything should work on a different computer.