Hello Guest

Author Topic: Scaling UI with anchors  (Read 4213 times)

BrysonGR

• View Profile
Scaling UI with anchors
« on: June 25, 2013, 08:31:28 pm »
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a 2D Toolkit UI which uses anchors. From what I can gather from the docs, it looks like I need to use a tk2dCamera, which also means that 1 unit = 1 pixel. This means that all the controls (TextInput, BasicButton, etc.) need to be scaled up, right? What's the recommended way to do this? I just created a parent "UI" object with a scale of (400, 400, 400) and dropped controls into it.

I'm thinking this may not be the right solution because the TextInput control doesn't quite work right. The field length needs to be greatly increased to match the control's scale, but the field length gizmo doesn't scale right (it's way too long). Is this just a bug? Or is this a sign that I'm not approaching this the right way?

Basically: what is the proper way to build a scalable UI with anchors, based on the UI demo control prefabs?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Scaling UI with anchors
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 09:44:02 pm »
Contrary to popular belief you don't NEED to use the tk2dCamera for anchors. If thats all you need it for, I'll be happy to post the new anchor code tomorrow, which will work independently to the camera type.

BrysonGR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 10:12:31 pm »
Yeah, that'd be great. I'm looking into using 2D Toolkit for all my UI instead of NGUI, which I've used up 'til now. I don't need everything to be pixel-perfect, but definitely need anchors. :D

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 10:40:24 pm »
I think there is a real misconception that you NEED the tk2dCamera to be pixel perfect - its meant to solve a completely different set of problems really. You can have pixel perfect, anchors and what not on any camera, any resolution. I'll get this thing done tomorrow and post a preview on this forum.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 10:39:16 pm »
You can find the new tk2dCameraAnchor system in the private support forum here:
http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/forum/index.php/topic,1987.0.html