Hello Guest

Author Topic: Can I have arbitrary camera axis orientation to suit?  (Read 5043 times)

Aaron

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Can I have arbitrary camera axis orientation to suit?
« on: September 04, 2013, 11:54:05 am »
Hi there. I'm currently investigating 2D toolkits for use in my next project and had a question regarding camera orientations. Specifically to do with using Playmaker and other built in Unity methods that use a "up" or "forward" vector.

I was testing out eX2d and it seemed that the special renderer that it uses forces me to use the default Z is "into" the screen. However, because I am looking to do a side on 2d game where my sprites will face to the right as default, I want to set my 'forward' or Z axis to be to the right. From there, any LookAt calls etc should work correctly.

I was wondering if 2D Tookit allows me to do this or does it restrict orientations?

Thanks

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can I have arbitrary camera axis orientation to suit?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:18:09 pm »
2D Toolkit sprites are placed on XY plane (i.e. z into the screen). Forward is very "arbitrary" and some convention has to be chosen, especially for the more advanced features in 2D Toolkit (tilemaps, static sprite batchers, etc).

Its easier to just modify Playmaker and use your own LookAt function to compensate - the built in LookAt functions work in 3D and are significantly more complicated than what you'll need in 2D. Example here:
http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/forum/index.php/topic,1785.html

Aaron

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 10:31:24 pm »
Hi and thanks for the reply.

No problem regarding arbitrary axis support, as I realise I can write some of my own Playmaker actions if need be, I was just looking to optimise development time by using as many pre created libraries and kits as I can.

I had another question. Is there any form of demo of 2dToolkit? I've watched a lot of tutorials on it and it looks like it's what I would want but until I start creating with it it can be hard to know if it will suit my workflow and requirements. Failing a demo version, is there any sort of "X day refund" that you offer so I could just pay in advance?

Many thanks
Aaron

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:16:15 pm »
Drop me an email at support at unikronsoftware dot com.

Aaron

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 12:43:00 pm »
Done.