Hello Guest

Author Topic: How to play animation in reverse?  (Read 7625 times)

Tongie

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
How to play animation in reverse?
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:17:18 am »
How to play animation in reverse?

DanTsukasa

• 2D Toolkit
  • I love Games Design
    • View Profile
    • Team Ekko
Re: How to play animation in reverse?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 06:13:22 pm »
In the current version of 2dtk, if you go to the animation editor, you can simply select your animation and click 'reverse' and it will reverse the frames for you.
However it only reverses the frame order, it doesn't 'flip' the individual frames themselves.

I am secretly hoping that an addition to the animation editor in the next update will be the ability to duplicate and flip an animation for use, as opposed to doing it in code.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:53:46 pm »
The animation editor working as it is won't be able to flip the animation, but I'm planning my extension system (something whereby you can have custom extensions to the core system, integrating into the editor) and hopefully it will support a simple plugin for reversing and flipping at the same time, and other functionality like that.

Tongie

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 01:55:24 am »
I m doing a wheel animation. if i need the wheel to play in reverse when i hit the back key and play forward when i hit the forward key but i cant figure out how to play in reverse.

Tongie

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 06:27:18 am »
Done. just create another clip and named it as reverse. i would be good if i can just reverse = true to reverse the original clip. thanks lot

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 01:41:47 pm »
There will be a Play reverse option in a future version, as well as a custom time function which will let you update time how you please (eg. for wheels, you can spin the wheel at the correct rate to the movement).

It will work perfectly fine for one shot & looped animations, just would be very complicated for pingpong & loop section type animations.

oayhan

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 07:15:10 am »
I've come upon this (and a few other similar) topic while searching for a way to play reverse animation. I need to reverse my animation in specific frames according to user input so having a reverse version of that animation doesn't cut it for me. Is there any simple way for reversing direction of an already playing animation?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 10:03:30 am »
No there isn't at the moment - the animation event system would have to be completely rewritten if you could move forwards and back in time at will. If you have a limited use case and don't need all the features of the animation system, I suggest creating a new animator class that just does what you need. Eg. if your animations are only looped and you don't care about pingpong / loopsection, the whole thing becomes really really easy. Trying to make the current general system work with something specific like that would make it significantly more complicated.

oayhan

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 11:48:51 am »
Thanks, I'll try that. Though I seriously think this is a very basic functionality for animation systems. I don't know how your current system works but you should maybe consider some modifications.

SgtGriff

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 05:11:52 pm »
Just adding my voice in support of functionality for animation reversal.

What's the state of the feature?

Pfaeff

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 06:20:32 pm »
I've come upon this (and a few other similar) topic while searching for a way to play reverse animation. I need to reverse my animation in specific frames according to user input so having a reverse version of that animation doesn't cut it for me. Is there any simple way for reversing direction of an already playing animation?
Isn't it possible to jump to a specific frame of an animation? Using that and a reverse version of your animation, you could build a system on top of the 2dtk animation system to get the results you want.