Hello Guest

Author Topic: Some suggestions and feature request for TileMaps  (Read 3633 times)

mellomike

• View Profile
Some suggestions and feature request for TileMaps
« on: September 23, 2012, 05:17:16 pm »
Hello, I recently purchased 2D Toolkit (mainly for tilemaps) and I love it! I also understand that the tilemap feature is still in beta so I wanted to give some input and ask for a VERY big feature for our team.

#1 - Custom tile properties
Right now a tile can have 3 properties attached to it (String, Int, and a Float). However it would be even better if we could attach (not sure what it's called in C#) but a Dictionary/Hashmap/Object to the tile so that I can give a tile an unlimited number of properties if needed.

#2 - Event Tiles
Allow us to paint a special tile that triggers a Notification/Event/Function that our game can react to when the player GameObject collides with it.

#3 - Grid based character controller
Not sure if this one falls under 2D toolkit but I'll ask anyway. It would be nice to have grid based (up-down-left-right) character movement based on the tile size. I'm sure this can be done without the help of 2D toolkit... but it would be nice if it came with the kit :-))

That's all the suggestions I have (for now) ... keep up the great work!

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Some suggestions and feature request for TileMaps
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 08:21:01 am »
Glad you like 2D Toolkit, and thanks for the feedback!

1. This will be coming in a future update.
2. You can already do this using the prefab system - create a prefab which has a trigger collider on it, and hook it up to the prefab spawning system. Now when that tile is spawned, it'll act as a trigger.
3. I will look into the feasibility of this at least  - I've had more than one request for this.

BigDaddio

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 08:51:05 pm »
So this has not happened? I would like to create "doors" that are triggers, so when a player hits the door it opens, as opposed to hitting a wall and being stopped.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 11:14:50 pm »
You can have custom properties on prefabs. Paint them in, commit the tilemap - you can then select the prefab in the unity editor and change values on it. The values will be remembered. You can also link prefabs to other prefabs - eg. trigger -> door.

There is one known issue where you lose prefab data if you modify the sprite collection after setting prefab data, while the tilemap is committed. This will be fixed in the next hotfix.