Hello Guest

Author Topic: Issues with tutorial  (Read 3819 times)

Saxi

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Issues with tutorial
« on: November 15, 2013, 09:53:41 am »
I am trying to do the tutorial, and I am running into problems.

I am on this page:
 http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/doc/2.10/tutorial/whack_a_mole/game_objects.html

It asks to create the sprite collection, in the beginning it is having me add all the land items and sky (?) to the Land collection.  Later on the sky and cloud ones are not there (so I assume adding these were a mistake).

I selected the fields and picked dice (all five) and used 64x64.  I removed Cloud/Sky images as I  suspect this is an error.  I have max size 2048 but I still can't create the collection as it says it is too big.
Here is a screenshot:

http://cl.ly/image/0n2G0Y0a1v0b

I am using 4.3.

I have Texture Packer and am a big fan of it.  Is this basically making a sprite sheet that Texture Packer could be used for? 
I would like to go through the tutorial without error, but would likely end up using Texture Packer to make my sheets.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with tutorial
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 10:57:36 am »
That looks like an error.
Did you click Apply after setting up the dicing? Select all the field ones and make sure every single one of them is diced.

Also, please make sure you've not added the ones from the 2x directory, you're supposed to use the ones from the Textures directory, not 2x. 2x will need a larger atlas for hd sprites. You should be able to fit the atlas into a 2048 even with the sky images selected.

Yes, its packing like texture packer, but this tutorial does one thing texture packer can't do (as far as I know) which is dicing, it'll be obvious what it does once you've successfully built the atlas and look at the atlas texture - it massively reduces atlas size when used on larger images.

Saxi

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:13:24 am »
Is there any performance impact when using dicing over not using dicing and just using them images as one piece sharing a spritesheet?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 11:26:25 am »
Performance impact is relative - dicing trades off vertex count for potentially huge texture cache and rasterising improvements. So in almost 100% of cases it will be faster when dicing, unless your game has 100000s of triangles, which is extremely unlikely for a sprite based game.