Hello Guest

Author Topic: Noob questions  (Read 3899 times)

Saxi

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Noob questions
« on: November 23, 2013, 02:34:28 pm »
I'm new to Unity, and purchased 2D Toolkit along with a few other highly recommended assets.

I'm on the fence about using 2D Toolkit or Unity 2D features.  I can see Unity 2D is not quite fully implemented and 2D Toolkit brings some cool stuff.

If going the 2D Toolkit route, I had some questions.

It looks like 2D Toolkit Camera is a the core camera but overloaded with additional functionality.  I assume if using 2D Toolkit the default camera won't offer anything over the 2D Toolkit and it is recommended to stick with your custom camera.

As far as I can see, when using 2D Toolkit you will pack sprites with the toolkit, and would animate them using 2D Toolkit, and the rest you would use Unity for?  I'm not 100% sure where you use 2D Toolkit and where you use Unity, but it seems 2D Toolkit would be camera, sprite packing, fonts, asset swapping, and animation.

Know of any good guides on using 2D Toolkit w/ PlayMaker?

My biggest issue I'm having starting to use Unity is handling multiple aspect ratios.  I want to support all mobile devices and tablets with as little effort as possible and highest fidelity image assets.  Can you point me to a good resource doing this with 2D Toolkit, or explain the best way to do this?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Noob questions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 07:21:51 pm »
The 2D Toolkit camera works fine with Unity sprites, and tk2d sprites. Whether you use the rest of tk2d or not, this will give you a benefit in that you won't have to worry about mapping pixels per meter / unit -> ortho size. It also handles aspect ratio correction and fix ups using resolution overrides. Changing sprite detail (resolution) is a completely different issue, and you'd handle that separately after you have your game working correctly, and possibly a bit blurry on some resolutions using platform sprite collections.

You can't create unity sprites out of sprite collections packed using tk2d, and vice versa. If you need asset swapping, simply stick with tk2d. That stuff just doesn't exist in Unity right now. Our plan is to update tk2d with all the features the Unity guys expose in the future anyway, so you should get the best of both worlds.

I'm not sure about guides using tk2d with playmaker. If anyone can suggest anything here would be good.

Saxi

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 08:23:43 pm »
You know where I can find a guide for the resolution/aspect ratio setup.  This is my biggest hangup right now as I want to do it right before I start digging into my first project.  I really don't want to have some resolutions blurry.   I don't want to do assets for every conceivable device but willing to spend some effort to avoid issues on some devices.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 08:48:34 pm »
There isn't a clearly defined solution to this. It really depends on the project, what you want to do, how much work you want to put into this, etc.
Here are some docs:
http://www.2dtoolkit.com/docs/latest/tutorial/tk2dcamera.html
http://www.2dtoolkit.com/docs/latest/reference/tk2dcamera.html
http://www.2dtoolkit.com/docs/latest/advanced/platform_specific_sprite_collections.html