Hello Guest

Author Topic: Would 2DToolkit help in building C & C Red Alert 2 -kind of isometric game?  (Read 6189 times)

R1000

• View Profile
I'm starting experimenting with Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 -type isometric game with Unity for mobile devices and started to think if 2DToolkit would be helpful in creating that desired outcome. Isometric games have been discussed here before but some questions still baffle my mind. Actually my questions can be seen in this screen shot:

1. Does 2DToolkit support movement on Z-axis (if tile map ground is laid in X - Y), or in this context would it be possible to create flying units? I think having an own layer is the key, but I'm also thinking of those shadows, that they would still be cast on the right tile (f.ex. where the bombs would be dropped)?

2. Buildings and trees that units can go behind to and in front of, but which also have collision detection? Does 2DToolkit determine automatically which sprite is drawn in front of another (in case of vehicle being behind a tree and in front of it) or does this involve some kind of layer witchcraft? Also, would the collision detection be done in so that box/sphere collider would be created for each object?

3. Height variations. Is it possible to create varying heights in tile map and have some tiles to act as slopes which units can pass, or cliffs which work as barriers?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
1. You can position stuff whatever way you like on the z to sort stuff. You will have to position your sprites correctly in z to have them sort in front or behind tiles.
2. You will have to work out explicitly how you want to draw stuff and order it by modifying sprite z.
3. You will have to handle height variations yourself. Its just stuff on another layer as far as the render engine is concerned.

Ultimately, if you want to do a game like C&C RA, you will have to do a substantial amount of coding to get sorting correctly. Eg. you have units that are larger than a tile, and these will need to be sorted correctly, in front of somethings and behind others. You also have buildings which are bigger than a tile, which will need to sort correctly with other buildings, AND units of nearly arbitrary size.

R1000

• View Profile
Thanks for the answers! Not afraid of coding, only trying to sort my thoughts on most suitable way of going forwards.  :) This was helpful, thanks!