Hello Guest

Author Topic: Top Down Customizable Avatars  (Read 3014 times)

andrew2110

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Top Down Customizable Avatars
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:57:46 am »
Hello All,

I'm trying to find the best way to create a customizable Top-down perspective avatar.

Here's our current avatar. It's just a plain sprite sheet at the moment with a different set of frames for each direction.

The original version of our game which was written a few years ago was done in Flash. We achieved customizable avatars by having hundreds of animated movie clips for each different piece of clothing / hair style / accessory etc.. And when the user changed anything, we generated the new sprite sheet from the new set of movie clips. This felt like a horrible way of doing it, but at least in terms of file size, it was ok because it used flash motion tweens to move everything around.

"Attach Points" seems to be the feature I need to understand to be able to get working with this. Are there any examples of anything similar to this that I could look into? I guess I'm really just looking for a push in the right direction.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Top Down Customizable Avatars
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 11:25:03 am »
Docs about attach points -
http://2dtoolkit.com/docs/latest/reference/sprite_attach_point.html

This will work with attach points, but it could be a bit of a pain to get everything sorted out and in sync. Building the custom atlas it by far the most efficient solution.