Hello Guest

Author Topic: Starting new project. Best Practices for sprite size and multiple resolutions.  (Read 3556 times)

drswoboda

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Hello,

I'm a new comer to 2D Toolkit and 2D in Unity in general. I'm starting a new project that ultimately I wish to publish to WP8, iOS, and Android. I know it will be messy with all the various resolutions.

I have spent a few hours here reading many posts on how to handle multiple resolutions. I have quite a collection of posts in OneNote for reference. As 2D Toolkit has matured, I see that the approach has also modified itself over the past two years of posts.

I would love to see a full fledged A-Z guide on how to start a multi-resolution project.

Being a newb, I have been considering where to start. I read in the documentation that I should start with the Low-Res assets first. That seems a bit backwards to my thinking from a creation viewpoint. But I am following that piece of advice from the developers.

My plan is to target WP8 Landscape as the native project size. It's screen layouts are 16:9 & 16:10 (800x480, 1280x720, 1280,768, and 1920x1080). The iOs sizes fit inside those sizes. Android, well that is all over the place, so I'll play that by ear.

So I have started to mock up my graphics in Photoshop. I have setup a template at HD1080. My thought is that I can scale down from there to other sprite sizes. My character is fairly large in size. I'm mocking it up as a 256x256 sprite. My geometric tiles will be 128x128 and 128x256. I believe that 2D Toolkit and Unity can use non-power of 2 sprites, and I'm sure I may have a few, but I'll try to stay with powers of 2.

So this would be my Large sprite set. Then I can half that for the 1x sprites. Does this make sense? Am I approaching this correctly?

Any help would be appreciated.
-David

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Yes that should be fine.
The reason its recommended to start with low res sprites and upscale, is that if you downscale and your sprites are not divisible... you end up with gaps between sprites.

drswoboda

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Thanks for the help. Now I totally get why the docs talked about starting smaller. As long as I stay on powers of 2 when I scale I should be good.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I move along. 2D Toolkit is a really excellent package.

Thanks,
-David