Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2xETC support in 2.5 ? When?  (Read 3464 times)

soulburner

• View Profile
2xETC support in 2.5 ? When?
« on: April 06, 2014, 05:05:27 pm »
Hi there. I've seen in your roadmap that you're planning to implement compression with two ETC atlases (RGB + alpha).

We're considering now to re-write all our working project for tk2d, but we're already using 2xETC compression in our game for Android devices.

The question is - do you have any estimates on this feature release? I need to know - do I need to write it by myself or I just need to wait a week and this feature will be implemented naitively?

PS: sorry if this topic is a duplicate, but searching forum for "ETC" seems to be useless ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:25:34 pm by soulburner »

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2xETC support in 2.5 ? When?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 06:19:21 pm »
Hi,

I'm sorry I can't commit to any timeframes to this. However, if you want to implement this yourself it should be really quite easy.
I can elaborate on my plans, as it may help you decide how to implement this. I have 2 plans for this -

1. Add a SpriteCollectionBuildComplete delegate, so that you can perform your own (global) post process at the end of it. This will be really flexible - you get the sprite collection + sprite collection data, and do with it what you wish.

2. A reflection based "plugin" system which can be added explicitly as a post process to a sprite collection. Eg. ETC'ify will be a post process that simply splits up your sprite collection textures into RGB and AAA.

I would implement this with #1, simply call your function from the end of tk2dSpriteCollectionBuilder.Rebuild
gen.spriteCollection.textures will contain the textures you will need to process, and .materials will contain the materials that will need to be patched up.

soulburner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 05:44:26 pm »
Thank you for the reply.

Making 2xETC is not a problem, we're doing it using batch scripts and imagemagick. The main problem will be implementing a different shader and 2xMaterials support inside your plugin.

But that is not very hard, I hope. Anyway, thank you for the reply!  ;)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 06:18:20 pm »
We'll only be making shader variants for the most common ones - ultimately the feature is support for post processing atlases, and the ETC thing will just be a plugin showing how you can implement it. We'll see how it turns out.