Hello Guest

Author Topic: Dealing with large sprites and Animation  (Read 3465 times)

rxmarcus

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Dealing with large sprites and Animation
« on: December 19, 2014, 10:24:38 pm »
I am working on a project that involves animations that are made up of large sized images. For example I have 1 animation that is 20 images that are each 2048 x 1371.
I just have no idea how to approach getting something like this to animate because the images are of course much too large for a single or even several sprite collections. I attempted using dicing but it doesn't seem to have much of an affect. Any tips on what approach to take in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with large sprites and Animation
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 10:35:22 pm »
Dont create a collection, I guess? Those are very large images by any standard.... You might find it easier to simply keep it non-po2, compressed and then animate it directly without atlasing, otherwise you're gonna end up wasting a lot of texture space. If you can refactor to 2048x1024 that will save you a fair bit of space...

rxmarcus

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 03:01:11 pm »
Ok, so how do I create an animation without using sprite collections? I know Unity allows for animation using sprite sheets but these are seperate images for the animation. I've only ever known how to do animation using sprite collections and the sprite animator in 2DTK.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 11:09:27 pm »
You'll have to create the sprite collection yourself from code I'm afraid - but its doable, check runtime sprite collections sample / code, that only does it with one texture but you can do many. But you could also use unity 2D for that? That could work just fine too for this specifically.