Hello Guest

Author Topic: Adding velocity/translation to tile maps?  (Read 3014 times)

Angry_Ed

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Adding velocity/translation to tile maps?
« on: March 05, 2015, 03:23:35 pm »
Hi there, I searched the forums and FAQ sections endlessly for an answer on this and couldn't find one so I'm asking my question now.

I'm attempting to make a vertical shooter in Unity using the 2D Toolkit and at first I was going to have the player and the camera move across the background automatically, but this was producing a stutter (which I understand is an issue with Unity itself), so I thought maybe having the background scroll would be a better idea. However I cannot get a 2D Toolkit tilemap to have any sort of motion, velocity, or translation applied to it. I tried using 2D Rigidbodys and just using plain "transform.position" adjustments but the tilemap remains in place. Is it possible to have a tile map have motion applied to it or am I just barking up the wrong tree and should just go back to the method of having the camera and player do the scrolling instead of the background?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Adding velocity/translation to tile maps?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 01:51:05 pm »
Don't move the tilemap, you'll be moving 100s of objects vs 1 camera which will be a LOT slower - its not a good idea :)
Regarding the stutter, look at the tilemap demo - it performs smoothing to make it a lot nicer.