Hello Guest

Author Topic: Can Toolkit2d do a pixel depth detection  (Read 3191 times)

teriansilva

• View Profile
Can Toolkit2d do a pixel depth detection
« on: February 05, 2013, 06:07:30 pm »
Hi,

toolkit 2d looks interesting and I am currently evaluating it for use within an isometric game where the camera looks down on a level sprite / multiple sprites. Camera is rotated 45/45 degrees (like diablo 2 or baldurs gate). Now what about objects on the level sprite which may cover the player. Lets say, we have a wall where the player can walk around. At one position he would be behind the wall, at another position (after going through a door) he may be in front of the wall.

Our approach was to use a zdepth map with grey values in relation to the player sprite position in world space. However, this approach seems to be quite complex and requires lots of value and shader tweaking.

Does toolkit 2d provides support for such cases or a system which is solid for production use? In case it does, toolkit 2d is our solution.

Best regards!

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Can Toolkit2d do a pixel depth detection
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:51:36 pm »
2D Toolkit doesn't do this.

I don't understand what you are planning on using that zdepth shader for though - I can't see how it will solve the issue differently to the zbuffer, which doesn't really solve the problem automatically anyway.