Hello Guest

Author Topic: Chicks Ahead - Cartoon style game for iOS  (Read 26803 times)

werzar

• View Profile
Re: Chicks Ahead - Cartoon style game for iOS
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 10:15:54 am »
I mean, I am using parallax scrolling technique of course, I just asked why do you need a plugin for that?

The action itself at its base is quite simple right? Moving sprites to the left at a different speed.
Now, depending on your game, you might want to adjust Y position based on some global (or otherwise public) variable (in my case, the height of the bird) and you would have to define a simple mechanism to recycle objects (when the leftmost image has left the screen, bring it back to the right, and apply a new sprite to it if needed).

Why do you feel you need a plugin rather than just go ahead and implement on your own? Let me know if I can help.

Yes, you could help me if you want, I need to know the knowledge to implement that... I understand concept but I dont know how to start it.

m4ko

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 11:41:56 am »
Ah I see. We will probably encounter the same issues with compressed backgrounds in our Unity-Streamed-Web-Project. You can see the compression artifacts on the orange slope around the cactus in the screenshot you posted.

I am interested to hear what caused the blurry "moving chick".

DannyB

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Chicks Ahead
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 11:50:39 am »
Yea, I was assuming you meant those artifacts.
The lack of JPEG-like compression on iOS (where you can choose your balance between quality and size) was probably the top reason for my headache in the past 6 months...

Just a small correction to my previous statement - the chicks sprite sheets are 16 bit reduced, not "uncompressed".
I think I have used "uncompressed" only for the GUI elements. Everything else, 16 bit or compressed.

So I am now testing it further, and will report back. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 11:59:30 am »
Ah I see. We will probably encounter the same issues with compressed backgrounds in our Unity-Streamed-Web-Project. You can see the compression artifacts on the orange slope around the cactus in the screenshot you posted.

I am interested to hear what caused the blurry "moving chick".

Compression artefacts are going to be completely different on PC/Mac. DXT generally looks a lot better than PVRTC, but PVRTC occasionally does do a better job.

DannyB

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Chicks Ahead
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 12:38:09 pm »
These are better right (screens directly from the iPad)?
I mean, all look the same quality now as far as I can tell.

If so, then the problem was tricky.
All I did now is change the sprite sheets from 16 bit reduced to Uncompressed, committed, then changed back to 16 bit reduced and committed again...

Probably something internal in Unity / TK2D remembered this spritesheet as Compressed or some other lower quality settings.

m4ko

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 01:13:01 pm »
Yeah looks much better. But interesting "solution" ...

DannyB

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Chicks Ahead
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 01:33:40 pm »
Cool, thanks man.

Unfortunately, these "interesting solutions" happen quite a lot for me and would probably happen to many people using source control.
The combination of Unity + TK2D + Source Control is far from ideal and has problems. Luckily, you can almost always re-apply some rogue sprite sheet and be done with it. :)