Hello Guest

Author Topic: What next?  (Read 66231 times)

outtoplay

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Re: What next?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 08:57:59 pm »
+ Integrated multi platform support (different atlases for different platforms, automatically loaded in)...

This would be HUGE

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 09:15:37 pm »
I think that will be my next big target after the dust from the 1.70 release settles. I have a few good ideas & prototypes on how to do this without being intrusive to the end user.

Its a bit of a toss up between this and a revamped animation editor, but I may end up doing that first as I think it won't take that much time to do.

fsadeq

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 06:31:41 pm »
You briefly mentioned these features in an email, but thought I'd make note of it here to see other peoples opinions:

Tilemap updates:
-Support for animated tiles natively
-Live streaming, so whole mesh doesn't need to be resident, gets reconstructed as you move around

I would die for these features, and would pay extra for them.

MRC

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 07:58:53 am »
+ Integrated multi platform support (different atlases for different platforms, automatically loaded in)...

This would be HUGE

I must quote this feature meaning multiplatform also as multi iOS devices (retina, standard, iPad, iPad retina)

hermesdavidms

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2012, 04:30:36 pm »
I must quote this feature meaning multiplatform also as multi iOS devices (retina, standard, iPad, iPad retina)

that would be very cool..

i also would like to see sprite clipping, a clipping area where everything behind gets clipped , that would be very useful
Cheers!
Hermes David Montes de Oca Segovia

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2012, 07:26:28 pm »
Sprite clipping is actually possible using multiple cameras right now & viewports. This will be much more efficient than any software clipping solution written in a managed language. The other option is using destination alpha as a target mask like Scaleform does, but this means having more control of the rendering pipeline.

mike2d

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2012, 12:47:33 pm »
hi,

very new to unity and tk2d but saw the "ex2D" plugin and some good features could be part of tk2d maybe on top of what you (unikron) suggested :)

-2D Skeleton Animation Editor
- the nice sprite animation editor

cheers,

MooNiZZ

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 07:40:36 pm »
A feature i would love to see to the sprite collection, would be to add colliders (mostly custom boxes and polygons) and enter the Collider view with a single hotkey, it takes up way too much time to switch between tabs when doing polygon meshes. That would improve my efficiency by about 250%, true story.

Yeah, I know I could hax this myself but, that wouldn't end up looking very nice :P

Awesome job so far Unikron! :)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 09:11:19 pm »
I'll change the behaviour so as soon as you switch to box/polygon collider, the editor mode automatically switches to collider edit mode. Makes sense from a workflow point of view.

Also, I'll add shortcuts to the different edit modes there. Any suggestions?

MooNiZZ

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2012, 10:11:11 pm »
I'll change the behaviour so as soon as you switch to box/polygon collider, the editor mode automatically switches to collider edit mode. Makes sense from a workflow point of view.

Also, I'll add shortcuts to the different edit modes there. Any suggestions?

ctrl + w and ctrl + e, easy to access, and not used by unity itself from what i noticed. They make no sense though but that's where i keep my fingers most of the time.
Cheers mate! :)

AdamOwen

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 10:13:41 pm »
I'd definitely like to see some upgrades to the collision system in the future. The ability to create multiple polygon colliders per sprite, or even better, automatically generate them for concave vs concave collision.

There's a recent asset (not yet released) announced on the Unity forums called Uni2D which looks to make this stuff an absolute breeze - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/142608-Uni2D-tool-A-new-amazing-way-to-create-2D-games-in-Unity!!

Might be worth you having a look at the video Unikron and seeing what you make of it, I understand it's a lot of work but right now it's at the top of my request list as creating colliders by hand can be a pain for complicated sprites.

Keep up the great work, best ?50 I spent in a long time!

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 11:09:24 pm »
@AdamOwen...

I have multiple (composite) collider support in the pipeline and got very far along with the interface and such, and it would probably be fairly straightforward to complete it. The catch was (there's always a catch), I had to make it work with frame based animation, and that's why it isn't built in right now.

Uni2D does look really really awesome, and I can see getting it myself for some quick prototyping physics based games. I personally prefer explicit control when building on constrained platforms

About automatic polygon collider generation - I had convex shapes working at some point on a branch somewhere, but I don't think I'll complete/integrate it anytime soon - theres still a lot more to do, and Uni2D looks like it'll just do it automatically. The colliders will be directly compatible, so you should be able to mix and match :)

I'm really itching to get on integrating support for the Farseer Physics port... that could be really really awesome (imho). Box2D is so much more stable than Physx for 2D stuff. Maybe after 1.80, if there is any interest.

AdamOwen

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2012, 11:30:24 pm »
Thanks for the info!

Understood about the frame based animation issues, glad to see it's something you've been working on though and look forward to updates.

It's funny you mention prototyping as that was my main usage case too. I generally don't like anything automatically generated when it comes to final builds and depending on what the tools generate I'd more than likely end up creating my own colliders once the art has been finalized anyway. The early stages are a completely different story though and spending the time setting up such colliders just to find they don't play well is annoying to say the least.

I was considering generating colliders in Uni2D then moving them into 2DTK so it's not a game breaker.

Box2D support sounds great!

bojlahg

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2012, 04:39:54 am »
Good feature to implement: tiling (repeat) same texture in one sprite. I believe this can be done through special shader.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2012, 10:26:10 am »
Tiling from within a shader is expensive and prone to precision errors, especially with low precision shaders and large tiling amounts, behaving differently further away from the origin of the tiling. It also won't work correctly with mipmaps turned on as the uv gradient will be very very large at the tile edge and at that point, it will mip down and you get seams. There are ways to fix all of this, but all require more work in the fragment shader.

I think its "better" and more suitable as a general solution to tile in software to the right size, clipping in software. Or, tile in software exceeding the limits, and then use a clip shader to shape it accurately. Anyway, I'll release something after I figure out a nice and clean way to interface the clip shader without requiring a ton of dependencies.