Hello Guest

Author Topic: LD26 Game: ShrunkenAdventures  (Read 6993 times)

FuzzyWuzzie

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
LD26 Game: ShrunkenAdventures
« on: April 29, 2013, 04:26:15 am »
My first Ludum Dare competition, and it was fun!

Check out my game here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-26/?action=preview&uid=22923

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: LD26 Game: ShrunkenAdventures
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 10:27:46 am »
It is really fun to play. You managed to squeeze a LOT of content in in such a short amount of time!

FuzzyWuzzie

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Re: LD26 Game: ShrunkenAdventures
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 06:14:02 pm »
Thanks!

The content was actually really easy to generate using the toolkit (*especially* the tilemap editor). I first tried using Tiled to make a map then import that into tk2d, but the tk2d editor was actually easier, faster, and more capable than Tiled. I created all the assets for the "tutorial" level first, then it was extremely simple to whip out the levels from there! The pixel art wasn't too hard either - I've found previously that if you know generally what you're looking for out of tiles and you limit yourself to only a handful of colours no matter what, then the tiles almost draw themselves.

Super simple to set up the bounding boxes on individual tiles in the sprite collection, put certain tiles on certain layers (ie: spikes go on "instakill" layer, ground goes on "solid" layer), and away you go! The only thing that could have sped up the process was allowing animated tiles to be placed by the tilemap editor. Though thinking about it now I probably could have done that by placing prefabs. Oh well!