Hello Guest

Author Topic: What can 2D Toolkit do?  (Read 3436 times)

WPJ

• View Profile
What can 2D Toolkit do?
« on: May 24, 2013, 07:42:42 pm »
Assumptions when I bought the asset:

1. Asset Store talks about Polygon Colliders and how great they are.

Forums talk about Polygon Colliders and how they don't collide with each other or work in animation (Unless convex presumably which isn't really what the Asset Store shows). Confused?

2. It's called 2D Toolkit therefore it must have all sorts of scripts and examples for me to make a 2D game.

It just handles Sprites and adds colliders?

3. The video examples will use pure 2D techniques for movement and collision.

The ones I saw used Unity 3D Physics components like rigid body etc. :(

I believe from the high ratings on the asset store that it is probably a great program for someone who can already do all these things without the asset and want to save time. For beginners though, who just want to place 2D sprites and get help making them move and collide I don't see the benefit.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What can 2D Toolkit do?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 09:16:07 pm »
Unity is a 3D engine, you have to do a fair bit of work to get efficient sprites, atlasing, colliders drawing, tilemaps in it. 2D Toolkit does all that nasty stuff for you, so you can concentrate on making your game. What it doesn't do/provide is any game/genre specific stuff - eg. character controllers, etc.

About your issue with physics -
Unity is what limits convex-convex intersections, well actually its limited by Physx which Unity uses, but that limitation is there for performance more than anything else. But no use shifting the blame really - a future version of 2D Toolkit will support complex colliders - i.e. multiple boxes and circles per sprite, letting you create much more complex colliders. This, unlike polygons, is much more efficient to animate. So yeah, polygon colliders are most suitable for background elements - like the hill and spiked platform shown on the asset store page.

Moving sprites without physics - you should go through the basic Unity tutorials. You can move any sprite using transform.position, etc. Its one of the most basic concepts in Unity. There are some really good tutorials to get up to speed with Unity concepts - http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules

We are working on a much more complete tutorial which should help beginners but even for that you will need some Unity knowledge.