Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2D Toolkit 1.70 beta 1  (Read 17637 times)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
2D Toolkit 1.70 beta 1
« on: April 07, 2012, 01:47:28 am »
First beta of tilemap editor.

BUGFIX: Spritesheet naming convention reverted (0,1,2,3...) instead of (0x0, 0x1...)
BUGFIX: Tilemap key consistency on mac
BUGFIX: Tilemapper copes with empty sprite slots
BUGFIX: Reverted sprite editor zoom to be global, and increased mousewheel zoom speed
FEATURE: Tilemap editor (Beta quality, but back end data is more or less fixed and future updates won't break this)
FEATURE: Create large tilemaps (data stored in a partitioned structure, cells which don't have data don't occupy memory)
FEATURE: Tilemap layers and automatic partitioning for render performance
FEATURE: Tilemap API - get tile at current position and interpolated tile color at current position.
FEATURE: Automatic optimized collider generation from sprites (polygon and box supported)

Known issues and incomplete features.
- Tilemap editor hasn't been tested in Unity 3.4
- Tilemap interface is incomplete and is subject to change
- Tile sort mode doesn't affect output yet (this used to work in the early preview)
- Can't save and load brush presets yet
- No demo scene yet (If anyone would like to help create a demo, please get in touch - this will be paid, of course)

Please post any bug reports here or in the private support forum.

FootprintGames

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Re: 2D Toolkit 1.70 beta 1
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 09:19:21 am »
Bought 1.60 Patch1, I've sent you the invoice  ;)

fsadeq

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 05:57:03 pm »
Awesome, thanks for the update!

Quick question, though: When changing the origin of a tile map, for example the X value to -500. And you start painting on the far left side, it draws the tiles as if the origin was still at 0. Is this a bug, or am I missing the purpose of the origin value? Thanks!

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 06:45:57 pm »
This should work, but was never tested. Which object did you move, the tilemap Object or the render data object?

fsadeq

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 09:07:08 pm »
Neither of the objects were physically moved, just the "Origin" value in the tilemap settings was changed. I'm not at my computer right now, so I'm sorry if I misunderstood your question.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:22:15 am by fsadeq »

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 10:09:25 am »
The "origin" field is more of a debug field really - it controls the offset of the tile origin to match the cursor with the tile. It'll either be hidden away or modified somewhat in a later release. If you need to move the actual tilemap origin, simply move the tilemap object away from the origin.

fsadeq

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 03:24:55 pm »
Ah, ok thanks.

Another thing I'm noticing is the key commands still seem to act wonky on OS X. Command + left click deletes a tile and command + click and drag will delete a selection. This works fine. But the ctrl+left click doesn't do anything unless I drag for a selection. In this case it will just copy tiles, but only sometimes. Other times will just do nothing it seems. Is there a way to move a tile or selection of tiles?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 06:54:56 pm »
Control click is meant to pick the current tile. I just tested it on my MBP 13" and it seems to work every time. If you look on the Brush dropdown, you should see the tile appear in there. Simply ctrl+clicking picks up one tile, drawing a rect then picks up a rectangle of tiles which you can then paste elsewhere (make sure its in "Brush" mode to paste the brush)

fsadeq

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 07:25:18 pm »
I must be doing something completely wrong. I can ctrl+click a tile and it does indeed appear in the Brush dropdown, but it stays on the map, it doesn't actually "pick up" a tile. It will allow me to copy what I selected, but it doesn't actually move the tiles. It behaves as a "copy/paste" rather than a "cut/paste".

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 08:19:20 pm »
That's intentional behaviour. I'll add another shortcut to cut instead of copying the current tile. Any suggestions?

fsadeq

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 08:51:16 pm »
What other keys are you allowed to customize within unity? It it possible to just have a button for "move" mode, then have the user make a selection, then click/hold + drag to move it? If that makes any sense. Or just have the "move" button next to the "brush" button.

Izitmee

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Holoville Games
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 02:21:34 pm »
Awesome, was so waiting for this :) Just a quick question: can we store data and renderData and create group of tiles randomly at runtime? And would this be efficient?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 05:18:17 pm »
The idea with the whole built in partitioning system is that it should be ultimately possible to build and/or stream in chunks at a later date. I'm still working hard streamlining the workflow for this version (I ideally would like it to be as fluid and efficient as the rest of 2D Toolkit, and there is quite a bit to sort out...), so the ability to change tiles, etc. probably won't make it into the 1.70 release version.

Let me know if you'd still like to implement it yourself though, the build system has an incremental build mode which is already in use for editor, and its runtime-safe code (though it allocates a bit of transient memory while building). The changes required will likely be very minimal.

The real overhead in my opinion is going to be constructing the collider data. The mesh goes through a couple of optimization stages which require a fair bit of CPU. Also, in Unity, you need to pretty much destroy the MeshCollider component before updating the data in it; you can't simply change it. So if you don't need colliders, the work required will be significantly lower and will be possible with just a few lines changed.

seregrail7

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 10:55:44 pm »
I'm interested in being able to edit tiles in game, and for what I'm working on I don't need colliders.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 11:04:43 pm »
I tested this yesterday and it actually works without any modifications - If you don't have any colliders, the performance shouldn't be too bad either.

I'll post an example once the next beta is ready.