Hello Guest

Author Topic: Animation Timing and Animation Editor  (Read 6718 times)

39thstreet

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Animation Timing and Animation Editor
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:57:46 pm »
What's the best way to have an animation hold on a frame for a few before continuing?

That is, let's say I wanted to hold on frame 2 for 5 frames.   Should I do a trigger and pause the animation then resume play after 5 updates?  Or should I enter frame 2 5 times in a row?

Related question: is there a way to tell a sprite animation to go to a particular frame?  I know tk2dAnimationSprite has Play(float clipStartTime), but frame index/number would be way more useful than a clipStartTime for me.

I would appreciate any advice on the best approach.

As an aside, before I decided to use 2dtoolkit I was using ex2d, and the only feature they really did better was the animation editor.   I would love to see something more robust (like specific timing per frame on animation rather than global FPS). 

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Animation Timing and Animation Editor
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 11:42:31 pm »
The best way (for now) is probably just to add frame 2 5x in the editor. When you increase the number of frames in the editor, it extends the last selected one, so you don't have to enter that multiple times.

I've added a PlayFromFrame function to 1.70 beta 3. Would appreciate it if you could have a quick test to see if it works properly before 1.70 final. (Gonna release it very shortly)

I've heard the requests for a better animation editor, and that is definitely one of 2 things which I could end up doing after 1.70 is done :)

39thstreet

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:03:14 pm »
I've added a PlayFromFrame function to 1.70 beta 3. Would appreciate it if you could have a quick test to see if it works properly before 1.70 final. (Gonna release it very shortly)

Awesome, will check it out today!

39thstreet

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:10:11 am »
Follow up:

Worked as described! 

I hacked in another addition, though.  I also needed a "jump to frame" function, to jump an animation to a particular frame and then pause it.   I added this myself in tk2dAnimatedSprite by adding a function which sets a "pause on next update" boolean.   Ugly hack, but it'll work for now.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:17:46 am »
A better alternative to hacking into the current codebase is to use c# extension methods. This way your changes will be preserved across version updates.