Hello Guest

Author Topic: Unity sprites in 2D Toolkit  (Read 4790 times)

Orion

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Unity sprites in 2D Toolkit
« on: November 28, 2013, 06:55:48 pm »
Are you planning to make it possible to use the Unity 4.3 sprites as a resource in 2D Toolkit?

I'm very fond of their atlasing and slicing (I could easily make it auto-slice sprites when a texture is updated - I couldn't figure that out in tk2d). But the 2D Toolkit pixel perfect rendering and some other things (flipping!) work much better than Unity's sprite renderer.

So I really wish I could just use the new sprites on a tk2d renderer. Any chance?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Unity sprites in 2D Toolkit
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 07:15:54 pm »
It isn't possible now. Unity haven't exposed the necessary functionality to do so.
Edit: I should add the intention is to support as much as possible, but the whole system is missing a LOT of required interfaces to do much more than is available in tk2d 2.3
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 07:18:28 pm by unikronsoftware »

Rirath

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 03:20:26 am »
Just curious, do you think they'll get around to exposing the needed interfaces in future releases?  Judging by some of the dev posts over on Unity's forums, it seems there are many 2D related features they didn't get to in 4.3.0 but do plan for later revisions.  (rigidbody2d.movePosition, for example)

Is there anywhere we can go suggest to Unity we'd like this functionality?  If so, it might be good to point your users there when they ask.  There's issuetracker.unity3d.com, but I'm afraid I'm not sure exactly what to ask for.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 12:14:41 pm »
They have said that they will be exposing some stuff, but they never actually say for certain. I'm not sure where you'd request anything to unity either - to be honest I'd be happy enough if they fixed reported bugs, and there are a fair few of those which are still unresolved :D