Hello Guest

Author Topic: General info for game, is it possible with 2D Toolkit  (Read 3406 times)

fallingbrickwork

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Montague's Mount
General info for game, is it possible with 2D Toolkit
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:23:29 pm »
Hi all,

As a 2D game 'first timer' I wanted to just get the communities opinion on whether 2D Toolkit is the way to go for me.

I am making a 2D game where the player drags out different areas on a 2D landscape. Imagine the early top-down versions of Sim City where the player could drag out residential/Commercial/Industrial areas etc and join then up with roads etc.

I was thinking of creating a tile map of sorts showing a general grassy background, and then as the player drags out these areas, changing the required tiles to the new area types (I hope that makes sense?!)

Would you think this would be the right way to go about this? Or should the new areas just be sprites that sit on a higher layer etc? Are runtime changes of this nature ok with the 2D Toolkit?

Any general info or insights into the above would be greatly received.

Kindest Regards,
Matt.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: General info for game, is it possible with 2D Toolkit
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 06:24:36 pm »
I think that could work fine. Updating tile maps at runtime is fine, but you shouldn't have colliders turned on when doing this. Updating render meshes is pretty quick, colliders are the really slow part of updating tile maps.

The buildings could just be sprites, but if they just occupy one tile, they could just as easily be a tile in the tile map.