Hello Guest

Author Topic: Issue in creating platform support?  (Read 4506 times)

habitoti

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Rombos Homepage
Issue in creating platform support?
« on: March 04, 2014, 06:02:54 am »
If I haven't overlooked something, I might have found two issues with platform support (I am cautious in my wording, since I sometimes fail to get the whole -- huge -- picture in the first place  ;) )

I start off with a 4x platform, then introduce a 2x later on (anchor calculations are no issue here for me...). Two things happen (which I can workaround manually, so no _big_ deal, but maybe not so nice...)

• If max size of atlas is set to current size of 4x, I get "Assets do not fit in atlas" error and 2x isn't created on commit. Only if I make it larger than actual current 4x atlas, it works (and of course ends up smaller). So I have e.g. a 2048x2048 4x atlas, max size set to 2048. Only if I set max to 4096, also the 2x is created (at 1024x1024)
  • If I use two materials on the original source platform, this won't be replicated into the new 4x and 2x platform. To better distinguish them, I renamed the original "atlas0 material" and "atlas0 material 1" into "transparent material" and "solid material" because otherwise you had no clue in the selection dropdown which one is which. The new 4x and 2x platform folders will contain only one "atlas0 material". As soon as I introduce manually a second one and rename those again, the initial assignements to individual assets will be immediately correct again.

Regards, habitoti
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:04:42 am by habitoti »
Checkout our homepage or visit the Rombos blog.

habitoti

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Rombos Homepage
Re: Issue in creating platform support?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 06:15:20 am »
Push, since this dropped unnoticed to page 2 already  ;)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 12:59:51 pm »
Try tk2d 2.4 beta 3 relaxed yesterday, there was an issue with padding not scaling properly with platforms. If it doesn't fix it - it would really help to have a repro case to avoid a long back and forth trying to figure out whats causing it.

The materials thing is known and expected (though possibly not desirable) behaviour. This whole thing can get very very gnarly, which is why it works the way it does. I might revisit it later if I get the time. Not enough use the feature to warrant that at the moment.

habitoti

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Rombos Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 06:04:16 pm »
Yup, works with the new version.  8)

For the other thing: no clue why you can't simply leave the original as it is, and copy the materials 1:1 to the new platforms, but you probably know better...  ;D

One other thing that cam to my mind, BTW: since there is already a feature for scaling the assets during atlas creation, why not offer kind of "Auto-Platforms", where you can scale down automagically from a 4x to 2x/1x platforms, also creating the required lower-res assets? Is it just because of teh anchors? I think this is in most cases not really a big issue...

Regards, habitoti

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 06:25:28 pm »
No the main reason is that the scaling (bilinear) looks like garbage most of the time. If you scaled it in photoshop, you'd use bicubic or something to suit your image.