Hello Guest

Poll

Would you like to see an UE4 version of 2D Toolkit?

Yes
11 (78.6%)
No
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Unreal 4?  (Read 9549 times)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Unreal 4?
« on: March 19, 2014, 09:05:45 pm »
Now that UE4 has been announced - would anyone be interested in a native UE4 version of 2D Toolkit, or something similar?

dotty

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal 4?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 10:39:49 pm »
Ohhhh! That'll be great. UE4 looks very interesting with their new pricing structure.

cakesauce

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 01:16:25 pm »
Dinesh,

Don't be lured by that UE4 succubus.   

We still need you to fight against the GUI injustices of UT.

Your work is not finished here champion.

Death to the Z-Axis!!!

Steve

dmaz

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 03:05:15 am »
Yes!

outofspace

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 04:47:26 am »
Crytek's new pricing is even a better deal.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 10:57:21 am »
The appealing thing with Unreal is source access, if somethings broken - well, I can fix it. Instead of filing a bug report hoping that it'll get fixed a year later....

griden

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 12:30:04 pm »
I think it's a great opportunity as there is no equivalent 2D tool on that platform. I'd even go as far and say that this alone could convince me (and many other Unity users) to switch to UE.   

Uttpd

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 03:35:19 pm »
I think is a great opportunity that you cannot afford to pass. As mush as it may impact unity's version development, go for it => with proper Blueprint integration by the way

x8105

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal 4?... nooooo.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 09:03:06 am »
I started with the unreal engine and switched to Unity3d, supporting both engines in my opinion be a blow to the quality and support of the current. I say focus your efforts on the one at hand, solidifying features that are needed and requested.

fremachuca

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 11:23:46 pm »
if there is a way to keep the impact on the unity version to a minimum i would say go for it!
while looking at all this unreal 4 craziness for the last couple of days, 2d toolkit definitely came up in my mind a couple of times.

Neeko

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Overdeveloped
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 12:12:20 pm »
Very interesting proposal! I have my gripes about certain things with Unity, so I would be interested in trying out UE4 in the future, especially so if 2D Toolkit was available for it.

Edit: Actually, I'd probably only be interested in UE4 if there was some type of easy to use 2D framework for it, as I'm only interested in 2D development at this time (and the far future). The point you made about being completely open source is a huge plus for sure. Unity just takes too long to fix bugs.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:15:40 pm by Neeko »

dotty

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 08:16:48 pm »
Any update on this? I haven't tried UE yet, but I've been looking through loads of articles/videos and it does look very, very impressive. Plus we all know UE is much more polished (under the hood) than Unity.

I'm looking to try out UE next month, and the open sourcesness of UE is a huge plus. Like unikronsoftware said, if there's bugs, they can get fixed quicker! That means quicker released of TK2d, quicker bug fixes, and making TK2D better, quicker.  Remember how long we had to deal with the camera bug? It was months!

I'm all for an UE version, and I hope unikronsoftware decides this is a big, big deal. As I'm sure people will begin to migrate to UE from Unity.