Hello Guest

Author Topic: Unity GUI vs 2d toolkit for rpg menu advice  (Read 7448 times)

Porthos

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Unity GUI vs 2d toolkit for rpg menu advice
« on: June 18, 2012, 06:15:30 am »
Need some advice from 2d toolkit veterans.

Making a Final Fantasy IV type game using the tk2dCamera so that the project will work at multiple resolutions. I decided not to use sprites for my menus because I am worried that it might not be a good solution for the 100+ items that might be in a characters inventory at any given time.

Right now I am using the unity gui and planning on doing everything based on percentage of screen and changing the font size based on detected resolution.

I should also mention that there are no mouse controls (these menus are keyboard/gamepad controlled only)

Am I setting myself up for future pain, or is this the best way to go about this?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Unity GUI vs 2d toolkit for rpg menu advice
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 09:56:41 am »
If you're using unity gui on mobile, that is a very bad idea. 100+ static sprites is perfectly fine, by the way - there shouldn't be any performance issues unless you have a ton of overdraw.

Porthos

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 09:26:12 pm »
Ok, thanks.

Followup question. Is it better to generate the text meshes from the players inventory (as would be easier) or is it better to make a separate prefab for every item in the player inventory. (could be 500 + prefabs)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:46:25 pm »
I suggest creating ONE prefab with the right font, etc selected, and then just Instantiate and set the text at that point. The nice thing about this approach is you can very easily convert this to a pooling solution later.