Hello Guest

Author Topic: Unity 4.3 2D Sprite Sheet/TexturePacker atlases to 2DToolkit SprteCollection?  (Read 10014 times)

krizzik

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Hi,

I've tried several searches of the forums here to find an answer to my issue, and I can only find one terse response from Unikron Software from sometime in March of this year(SEE HERE). I just purchased 2Dtoolkit today (as of this post's timestamp) based on the reported compatibility with 4.3's sprite system, and I never saw mention of Unity 4.3 sprite sheets not being supported until the single forum posting I found. so my questions are:

• Is there a way to use pre-existing Unity 2D 4.3+ spritesheets (sliced and labeled) and/or Code&Web's TexturePacker Unity 4.3 compatible spritesheets with 2DToolkit's "spriteanimation" system?
  • Is there currently any type of a conversion utility/tool/etc to convert from the aforementioned systems to 2DToolkit?

Hopefully, I could get an answer to one or both of these questions before I start going through the process of rebuilding my spritesheets with the 2DTK utility from scratch (I'd have over 1000+ sprites to label and align). Thanks in advance

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No it isn't possible to use Unity spritesheets, and TexturePacker import is only supported at runtime. However you can write a little bit of code to save a texture packer imported spritesheet as a tk2dSpriteCollection that you can then use in the animation system. This thread goes into a little detail -http://2dtoolkit.com/forum/index.php/topic,1636.0.html

krizzik

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Thank you very much, this will definitely help things along here on my end. I'll look into the post you've cited. Are there any future plans to incorporate Unity's 2D sprite framework into the 2D toolkit pipeline? If so, will current tk sprite collections continue to work if the framework is changed? I ask this because, ultimately, I don't want to have to go through what I'm doing now (rework my assets to fit a backend/middleware solution rather than the other way around).

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I did have plans to integrate tighter with the unity 2d system. However, the system itself didn't expose the required functionality in unity 4.3, and I haven't had the time to see if thats changed in 4.5.

krizzik

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
I see, well that is something; thank you for the quick answers. I suppose the last question would be the most obvious one: is the current iteration of 2DTK going to be compatible with the upcoming Unity5? Or will this require a separate/new 2DTK license purchase given that it's a major and not a minor release change?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: changing camera resolution during run time
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 12:00:46 pm »
The same license will work on 5.0

Evil-Dog

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Do you think unity 5, being 64-bit, will be able to compute much bigger atlases without crashing? I have a lot of problems with big collections right now.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I haven't used Unity 5 yet, but if its 64 bit it should be able to use all the RAM you have in your system before crashing. The 32 bit version is limited to 3+ GB.

Evil-Dog

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Yeah that's what I thought, just wanted some confirmation :D

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Just to be clear, I'm not confirming anything :) There might still be limitations in Unity regarding memory use.... Your guess is as good as mine here

Evil-Dog

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
No no you're just assured me it will work 100% lol just kidding :D