Hello Guest

Author Topic: Issue with spritesheets  (Read 5050 times)

mygamingproject

• View Profile
Issue with spritesheets
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:48:11 pm »
I'm importing a spritesheet that I want to add to a sprite collection.

The optimisation of the spritesheet is significant performance boost so need to get this working.

All is fine and the spritesheet is imported with the following texture properties http://imgur.com/S6JGgZb

I then go to create my spritecollection but it doesnt recognise the spritesheet and gives me the error:

Asset import did not unload metadata path. This will leak memory.

I'm following these steps http://www.unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/docs/latest/tutorial/importing_a_spritesheet.html and the sprite colleciton recognise the spritesheet but not the individual assets within the Unity spritesheet.

I really don't want to just use Unity2D so what am I missing?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Issue with spritesheets
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 09:12:10 am »
"Asset import did not unload metadata path. This will leak memory." don't worry about this one, its editor only and seems to be an issue with unity 4.5 not liking switching texture type.

tk2d doesn't recognize unity sprites, you will have to import the spritesheet separately. Do you have a scenario that doesn't work with the tk2d sprite sheet import?

mygamingproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 10:57:32 am »
Mainly one of compression.

Images brought in to a spritecollection is around 16MB

Images put to a spritesheet in texturepacker (codeandweb) are compressed to 56KB and can be brought in to Unity2D and animator as required using TexturePacker's Importer.

When looking at build sizes the app size falls from 32mb to 15mb using the above process. 

To make use of the camera and resolution switching in 2dToolkit I need to bring in to a sprite collection but as you have mentioned this isn't recognised. But the overhead for using 2dToolkit is significant so need to find a way round this.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 07:08:24 pm »
The images from texture packer (56kb) is meaningless, Unity converts it to an internal texture format anyway. Unity texture compression will be the same with tk2d or unity textures - if it is any different it means that the compression settings arent the same.

A 2048x2048 uncompressed texture is going to be 16MB regardless if you used Unity 2d or 2D toolkit. They both use the same compression. If you're getting one of them at about half the size, it implies its possibly 16bit.