Hello Guest

Author Topic: Interested in 2D Toolkit  (Read 3631 times)

peachmizuki

• View Profile
Interested in 2D Toolkit
« on: November 26, 2014, 02:32:05 pm »
With the arrival of the new Unity 4.6, I was wondering if 2D Toolkit is still useful. Is this true or false? Thanks!

Trigve

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Re: Interested in 2D Toolkit
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 03:21:21 pm »
This is my opinion. Unity 4.6 primary focus was on UI. The 2D stuff was added earlier (4.3?). But I do think that 2D Toolkit is useful, and not only useful, but *necessary* for any advanced 2D game/application. The API for the unity sprite and animation classes is poor in my opinion and you will hit the wall if doing something more complicated than the some toy demo/tutorial.

peachmizuki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 03:49:35 pm »
Thanks for the fast reply! I haven't bought the toolkit yet, but I was interested in using it for everything from HUDs to UIs and not just for 2D games, so a small concern was if Unity had overlapping features. Still, I am quite satisfied with the answer.

Trigve

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 04:32:06 pm »
I'm using 2DToolkit mainly for the game itself (sprite, animations, ...) but am planning to use Unity's 4.6 UI. There are some overlapping function, of course. I advise you to try the unity first without 2D toolkit and find out if it is usable for you (I've been using the plain 2D features of unity and they weren't sufficient for me, therefor I bought 2D toolkit).