Hello Guest

Author Topic: Future options for getting a smaller installed on disk size, for iOS  (Read 3486 times)

edb

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
I'm looking for options on how to get my game's installed on disk size on iOS smaller.  Currently the best I've found is using tk2d atlases saved as PNGs, which results in 195MB. On Android, I get a 69MB apk (using atlases saved as Unity Textures.)

I was hoping that Unity 5.3 was going to compress your player data folder, but it looks like they've changed that - now you have to be using AssetBundles to get that compression.  Is it feasible to use AssetBundles with tk2d?  I'm also using 1x2x4x platforms, if that complicates things.

They claim to be adding support to compress the player data folder in the future...maybe I should wait for that?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Future options for getting a smaller installed on disk size, for iOS
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 12:13:38 pm »
If you're using 1x 2x and 4x (platform collections) assets you should probably not use asset bundles. Or use asset bundles and manage platforms yourself. The platform collections feature doesn't work with asset bundles, as it is a solution to load the correct collection from resources.

Ps. you can actually pngcrush the PNGs tk2d produces with atlases saved as PNGs (png.bytes) and get massive size reductions. I think you will be able to do way better than unity / apk / ipa compression as PNGcrush can be lossy.