Hello Guest

Author Topic: Placing prefabs freely (no grid) on a tilemap  (Read 3990 times)

stickerb

• View Profile
Placing prefabs freely (no grid) on a tilemap
« on: December 18, 2015, 08:01:14 pm »
Hi, in the game I'm currently working on, there's a strong need on placing collectibles without a grid. I have been placing prefabs on a grid (tilemap) and then moving them around by hand, but every time I need to update my sprite collections or edit the tilemap, all those manually placed prefabs revert to it's position along the tilemap.
Is there a way I can freely place prefabs using the tilemap tool? it would really speed up my work. Even a way where I can place tiles by half a space instead of one would help.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays!

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Placing prefabs freely (no grid) on a tilemap
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 12:56:44 am »
Hi,

I think I'm missing something - if you're not placing the tiles aligned to the grid, why not just drag them into the scene as prefabs? If you want to place things on a grid but a different granularity to the main tilemap, you can do it by setting up the grid size to be smaller on it.

stickerb

• View Profile
Re: Placing prefabs freely (no grid) on a tilemap
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 07:06:50 pm »
Hi, thanks for replying! I first thought on placing them as prefabs, but I have over 100 of these items on the scene (with many other scenes having them as well) so I really need to use the tilemap tool to place them. Now that you mention the grid size, I never thought on changing it because I'm only using one tilemap and doing that would make my other tiles to be placed incorrectly. But if I use another tilemap on top of my main tilemap then I would be able to place them on a custom grid without any trouble.
Thanks for your help!