Hello Guest

Poll

What was your experience level when starting with 2D Toolkit

Highly experienced Unity user.
Experienced in another engine/platform, just started with Unity.
Not used any other platforms, but quite experienced in Unity.
Just learning Unity and 2D Toolkit together

Author Topic: Poll 1 - Experience level  (Read 16534 times)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Poll 1 - Experience level
« on: August 05, 2012, 01:28:20 am »
In order to cater better to users - I would like to find out the experience level when you started using 2D Toolkit. This will really help in creating targeted tutorials, and let me concentrate on improving workflow for the appropriate target. Please vote and help make 2D Toolkit better :)

If you have any further comments/suggestions please post below.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Poll 1 - Experience level
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 07:12:18 pm »
Thank you very much for voting on this poll.

Square

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:56:23 am »
I'd only say I fit none of these descriptions in the poll, so would not answer it.

Highly experienced Unity user.
    Experienced in another engine/platform, just started with Unity.
    Not used any other platforms, but quite experienced in Unity.
    Just learning Unity and 2D Toolkit together

It would be fairer to have a middling "Quite experienced in Unity, experienced in other platforms" scenario for a new user to indicate, which is at least many of us, who aren't "Highly experienced in Unity"?

harry hayes

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 12:58:32 pm »
Hi...

Just my opinion, but it would be really useful if you would add sound to your video tutorials, either for showing the features or instruction. I appreciate that this may cause problems for other languages.

Zama Games

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 01:38:53 pm »
I'd say I have medium experience with Unity (1 year and 2-3 medium sized games, but nothing really complicated). Also I have experience of lots of other platforms.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 06:09:08 pm »
Hi...

Just my opinion, but it would be really useful if you would add sound to your video tutorials, either for showing the features or instruction. I appreciate that this may cause problems for other languages.

The main issue, other than languages is keeping them up to date. We're doing a video tutorial for the complete demo tutorial - hopefully that will cover all the basics.

dirtyhand

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 06:53:47 pm »
It looks like 2D movement is a common question with Unity newbie users. I would recommend having an movement example in the tk2d_demos folder.

Majicpanda

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 02:58:43 pm »
I'm betting people buy this with unity looking for a 2d platformer solution so having a scene with how to control a player with a few animations, a rigidbody, and transitioning between states would make this tool even more popular. It's so incredibly hard to find a good RB platformer example that actually works well.

EskemaGames

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 10:47:37 am »
I'm betting people buy this with unity looking for a 2d platformer solution so having a scene with how to control a player with a few animations, a rigidbody, and transitioning between states would make this tool even more popular. It's so incredibly hard to find a good RB platformer example that actually works well.

That's the problem, people don't understand that this is a tool to create 2d games in general, but this is not for platformer games specifically, so I find that kind of tutorials pretty useless. Besides, there's some good platformer kits on the assets store, and making them work with 2dtoolkit it's just a piece of cake

kris8360

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 09:29:23 pm »

That's the problem, people don't understand that this is a tool to create 2d games in general, but this is not for platformer games specifically, so I find that kind of tutorials pretty useless. Besides, there's some good platformer kits on the assets store, and making them work with 2dtoolkit it's just a piece of cake

Hi, I'm new to Unity, and game developement in general, I want to make a simple 2D platformer for android.
I'm looking for exactly a 2d platformer solution as you mentioned above.You say you don't recommend 2D Toolkit for it? What other options do I have? (I tried Orthello 2D and I don't like it at all, that's why I tought 2D Toolkit would be a better choice.)

Also why is it 61,75 euro for me in the asset store? It's like 80 USD, instead of 65 USD.

EskemaGames

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 11:15:08 pm »
I didn't said anything about 2dtoolkit, what I'm saying is that unikron doesn't need to create "super mario platformer" specific tutorials, you can create ANY type of game with 2dtoolkit, it's up to you to learn how to do that.
2dtoolkit it's just a tool, like a drill, you need to learn how to drill

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 12:27:57 am »

Hi, I'm new to Unity, and game developement in general, I want to make a simple 2D platformer for android.
I'm looking for exactly a 2d platformer solution as you mentioned above.You say you don't recommend 2D Toolkit for it? What other options do I have? (I tried Orthello 2D and I don't like it at all, that's why I tought 2D Toolkit would be a better choice.)

Also why is it 61,75 euro for me in the asset store? It's like 80 USD, instead of 65 USD.

About the price - I take it you're in the EU? You get the privilege of paying VAT :)

And you can most certainly create platformers in 2D Toolkit. The tilemap editor could work really well for that. Or you could use the static sprite batcher feature to get efficient levels built. Either way, you have quite a lot of choice in how to go about it.
Check out some of the stuff in the showcase forum here: http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/forum/index.php/board,9.0.html

kris8360

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 03:26:14 pm »
About the price - I take it you're in the EU? You get the privilege of paying VAT :)

And you can most certainly create platformers in 2D Toolkit. The tilemap editor could work really well for that. Or you could use the static sprite batcher feature to get efficient levels built. Either way, you have quite a lot of choice in how to go about it.
Check out some of the stuff in the showcase forum here: http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/forum/index.php/board,9.0.html

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a shot.
Yes, unfortunately I live in the EU :(

DemiGoth

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 07:41:50 am »
Experienced on other platforms/languages (for 25 years now and still going strong ;D) and NEVER have build anything using graphics. I've mostly been using database IOs, administrative tools and such.

ivydevelopment

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 11:51:34 pm »
Beginner, driven by passion. Learned C# and Javascript while making a rather ambitious game. I feel pretty comfortable in the environment now. I can throw together some pretty interesting games without having to seek for assistance. Although I am always looking to see if there are better/more efficient ways to do the same thing.