Hello Guest

Author Topic: Mixing Unity 2D Animation with 2D Toolkit  (Read 5707 times)

ricke

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Mixing Unity 2D Animation with 2D Toolkit
« on: September 03, 2016, 02:58:45 am »
Is it possible to mix Unity 2D animation with 2D Toolkit?  It seems like I'd basically be transitioning all my sprites away from tk2dSprites to Unity 2D sprites in order to use Unity 2D bone animation, and with that the main underpinnings of 2D Toolkit (sprite collections, multi-resolution support, etc).  Is that an accurate statement or am I missing something?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mixing Unity 2D Animation with 2D Toolkit
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 12:14:00 pm »
Hi there, sorry there isn't a way to use Unity 2D animation effectively with 2D Toolkit. If its just scale, rotation and positions, that should just work with tk2d, but if you want to animate sprites / colours at the same time that won't work.

ricke

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 11:42:38 am »
Okay, that was my assumption but I wanted to check to make sure. I'm currently using Synfig Studio (http://www.synfig.org/cms/) as a compromise to get sprites generated through interpolation instead of switching at this point, it's actually working quite well. Thanks for your response.

Nikolasio

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 04:32:21 pm »
Hi @unikronsoftware,

I’m planning to use the puppet2d skeleton animation tool on 2dtk Sprite Characters.
There are 2 main ways to go in puppet2d: 1) parenting sprites the bones and 2) converting sprites to meshes and bind them to the bones. 
And then, with the controls layer from puppet2d, the sprites are very easy to animate in the Unity 2D animation.

If you say that animating the sprites themselves will not work, in this case, do you mean by that that converting the sprites to meshes and make deformations will not work?
It seems that parenting the sprites to the bones seems the way to go then, as only scale, rotation and position from the controls will be animated. Is that so?
EDIT: the controls and bones are not 2dtk sprites, so will that cause any problems? 

As the 2dt camera is already set up for different screen resolutions, will puppet2d animations on 2dtk sprites display correctly in all resolutions?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers
Nikola

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 03:44:49 pm by Nikolasio »

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 10:39:22 pm »
> the controls and bones are not 2dtk sprites, so will that cause any problems? 
No that should work fine

> As the 2dt camera is already set up for different screen resolutions, will puppet2d animations on 2dtk sprites display correctly in all resolutions?
Yes, the tk2dCamera doesn't discriminate about other kinds of sprites or objects.

Nikolasio

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 11:10:48 am »
Thx for the info!

Grtz
Nikola