2D Toolkit > Support

2D Toolkit No Longer Supported?

(1/4) > >>

mangoocean:
Going by the zero response by the publisher to mine and other's questions on this forum and how messy the plug-in is now in Unity (so many errors in trying to commit / update sprites to their boards etc), I'm figuring 2D toolkit is slowly being wound down?

I would like to know before we start on our new project next week whether we drop 2D TK forever or not.

unikronsoftware:
Hi

I am supporting this but Unity updates are making this a very taxing affair. We have to maintain backwards compatibility above everything else and I'm currently working out how much longer it is really viable to continue supporting new Unity updates.

Eg. the prefab update is causing so many problems across the board among so many users, and especially affects us as we use prefabs in a way that is sadly affected. Eg. The 2018 issues were almost totally out of our control, and we were at the mercy of unity to fix the bug. Finding workarounds is costly for us (hours spent trying to work around Unity bugs).

Sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for but at some point its going to tip over and not worth the effort to keep up to date with unity's constant updates.

baconbanditgames:

--- Quote from: unikronsoftware on June 06, 2019, 08:39:21 pm ---Hi

I am supporting this but Unity updates are making this a very taxing affair. We have to maintain backwards compatibility above everything else and I'm currently working out how much longer it is really viable to continue supporting new Unity updates.

Eg. the prefab update is causing so many problems across the board among so many users, and especially affects us as we use prefabs in a way that is sadly affected. Eg. The 2018 issues were almost totally out of our control, and we were at the mercy of unity to fix the bug. Finding workarounds is costly for us (hours spent trying to work around Unity bugs).

Sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for but at some point its going to tip over and not worth the effort to keep up to date with unity's constant updates.

--- End quote ---

What's the current status of 2D Toolkit with Unity 2018.4.x? Are there any show-stopping bugs?

I've got an Android/iOS game built with 2D Toolkit that is going to be released in the next few months, and it's currently using Unity 2017.4.28f1. Unity is stopping support for 2017.4 in early 2020. I expect the game to be updated for at least a year, maybe two, so I'll probably need to update to 2018.4 at some point. I'm hoping that 2D Toolkit will work properly in 2018.4, as that would give me lots of time to transition to using Unity's built-in 2D tools for my next games.

Totally understand if you decide to discontinue support in the near future - I can only imagine how frustrating it is to deal with all of the breaking changes that new Unity versions are introducing! I will say, I'm going to miss 2D Toolkit - it's been great to work with all these years, and still has some features that Unity is missing (sprite dicing being a big one!). Many thanks for all of your hard work on 2D Toolkit. :)

nachobeard:

--- Quote from: unikronsoftware on June 06, 2019, 08:39:21 pm ---Hi

--- End quote ---

Hello

We're on the same boat as baconbanditgames, working with 2017.4 but it's looking like we won't be able to release before that particular version is phased out on consoles.

Hence we're also in need of a release compatible with 2018.4 (which is LTS), so that should be enough to bring all teams over the finish line.

regards.
nacho.

unikronsoftware:
Hi

I am happy to support until 2018.4. As far as I am aware most of the issues affecting tk2d have been resolved in that version and the latest version
released here works fine in my tests and use cases. Of course with tk2d its an open ended toolkit and you could do so many things with it...

If you upgrade, of course be sensible - version control / backup everything and report any specific issues you're having and I'll try my best to help. Will of course need specific repros to help me find issues quickly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version