Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2D Toolkit No Longer Supported?  (Read 33993 times)

mangoocean

• View Profile
2D Toolkit No Longer Supported?
« on: May 20, 2019, 08:13:34 am »
Going by the zero response by the publisher to mine and other's questions on this forum and how messy the plug-in is now in Unity (so many errors in trying to commit / update sprites to their boards etc), I'm figuring 2D toolkit is slowly being wound down?

I would like to know before we start on our new project next week whether we drop 2D TK forever or not.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2D Toolkit No Longer Supported?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 08:39:21 pm »
Hi

I am supporting this but Unity updates are making this a very taxing affair. We have to maintain backwards compatibility above everything else and I'm currently working out how much longer it is really viable to continue supporting new Unity updates.

Eg. the prefab update is causing so many problems across the board among so many users, and especially affects us as we use prefabs in a way that is sadly affected. Eg. The 2018 issues were almost totally out of our control, and we were at the mercy of unity to fix the bug. Finding workarounds is costly for us (hours spent trying to work around Unity bugs).

Sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for but at some point its going to tip over and not worth the effort to keep up to date with unity's constant updates.

baconbanditgames

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Bacon Bandit Games
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 06:35:07 pm »
Hi

I am supporting this but Unity updates are making this a very taxing affair. We have to maintain backwards compatibility above everything else and I'm currently working out how much longer it is really viable to continue supporting new Unity updates.

Eg. the prefab update is causing so many problems across the board among so many users, and especially affects us as we use prefabs in a way that is sadly affected. Eg. The 2018 issues were almost totally out of our control, and we were at the mercy of unity to fix the bug. Finding workarounds is costly for us (hours spent trying to work around Unity bugs).

Sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for but at some point its going to tip over and not worth the effort to keep up to date with unity's constant updates.

What's the current status of 2D Toolkit with Unity 2018.4.x? Are there any show-stopping bugs?

I've got an Android/iOS game built with 2D Toolkit that is going to be released in the next few months, and it's currently using Unity 2017.4.28f1. Unity is stopping support for 2017.4 in early 2020. I expect the game to be updated for at least a year, maybe two, so I'll probably need to update to 2018.4 at some point. I'm hoping that 2D Toolkit will work properly in 2018.4, as that would give me lots of time to transition to using Unity's built-in 2D tools for my next games.

Totally understand if you decide to discontinue support in the near future - I can only imagine how frustrating it is to deal with all of the breaking changes that new Unity versions are introducing! I will say, I'm going to miss 2D Toolkit - it's been great to work with all these years, and still has some features that Unity is missing (sprite dicing being a big one!). Many thanks for all of your hard work on 2D Toolkit. :)

nachobeard

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 10:33:35 pm »
Hi

Hello

We're on the same boat as baconbanditgames, working with 2017.4 but it's looking like we won't be able to release before that particular version is phased out on consoles.

Hence we're also in need of a release compatible with 2018.4 (which is LTS), so that should be enough to bring all teams over the finish line.

regards.
nacho.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 11:27:05 pm by nachobeard »

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 05:07:07 pm »
Hi

I am happy to support until 2018.4. As far as I am aware most of the issues affecting tk2d have been resolved in that version and the latest version
released here works fine in my tests and use cases. Of course with tk2d its an open ended toolkit and you could do so many things with it...

If you upgrade, of course be sensible - version control / backup everything and report any specific issues you're having and I'll try my best to help. Will of course need specific repros to help me find issues quickly.

nachobeard

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 09:15:22 am »
thanks man that's really cool of you
is there a way we can contribute a small donation? just as a token of appreciation
PM me if interested, might be better to keep it private?

regards

baconbanditgames

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Bacon Bandit Games
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 04:55:46 pm »
Hi

I am happy to support until 2018.4. As far as I am aware most of the issues affecting tk2d have been resolved in that version and the latest version
released here works fine in my tests and use cases. Of course with tk2d its an open ended toolkit and you could do so many things with it...

If you upgrade, of course be sensible - version control / backup everything and report any specific issues you're having and I'll try my best to help. Will of course need specific repros to help me find issues quickly.

That's awesome news, thanks for the update!

I'll try updating one of my games to 2018.4 soon (as a completely separate copy, just in case!) and will let you know if I run into any issues.

Flink

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • In The Pavilion
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 08:14:42 am »
thanks man that's really cool of you
is there a way we can contribute a small donation? just as a token of appreciation
PM me if interested, might be better to keep it private?

regards

I think this is a good idea in general, we would certainly pitch in some money, bought it back in 2012(?) and have used it in numerous project since so we've really got a lot for our money I would say. So either some kind of donation or even a Patreon could be a great idea to keep it going and make sure it will work with new Unity versions!

nachobeard

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 11:35:03 am »
yep I'll be happy to pitch in if unikron provides us with the info to do so!
just as a "thank you".

nachobeard

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 09:50:32 pm »
just wanted to say I updated to unity version 2018.4.6f1 and 2D Toolkit 2.5.8.16 about a week ago, and everything has been working fine for me since!

thanks again unikron for the extended support.

Kirb

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 05:31:18 am »
Oof, going to update our project to 2019.2 for the much improved garbage collection, so this is a worrying thread title, haha. 2DTK still has the absolute best frame-by-frame animation workflow in Unity, so I'll be pretty sad to see it go; and I'm grateful for all the work that's been done!

Has anyone else had any success/issues upgrading to 2019.2? I'm assuming the biggest issue has already been resolved with the prefab updates; but hopefully there aren't any showstopping issues.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 05:37:22 am by Kirb »

Kirb

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 12:45:46 am »
Can confirm that it appears to be working in 2019.2.4f1 without showstopping issues, thus far.

baconbanditgames

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Bacon Bandit Games
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 06:31:45 pm »
I updated one of my games to Unity 2018.4.8f1 about a week ago. I updated 2D Toolkit to v2.5.8.16 after I updated Unity.

So far everything works great! I've added sprite collections, modified existing sprite collections (added/removed/modified sprites in them), modified existing prefabs that contain tk2d components, and have been able to do everything I normally can.

The only I don't use is tk2d fonts, as I use Text Mesh Pro.

I did have to change the scripting runtime version to .NET 4.0 - it would be great if it was in the release notes and the forum thread with the v2.5.8.16 download. https://www.2dtoolkit.com/forum/index.php/topic,5607.msg25289.html#msg25289

Will report back if I do run into any issues. :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 06:34:31 pm by baconbanditgames »

baconbanditgames

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Bacon Bandit Games
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 04:53:44 pm »
Ran into my first issue.

My project was previously Unity 2017.4.32f1, and I updated it to Unity 2018.4.8f1 and 2D Toolkit v2.5.8.16.

If I edit a prefab that was originally created in Unity 2017, and I modify any tk2d component in the prefab, the changes are not saved in the prefab.

If I modify any non-tk2d component in the prefab after making some changes to tk2d components in the prefab, the tk2d components will be correctly saved/updated in the prefab. So the changes are being recognized, they just aren't triggering a save of the prefab.

If I remove a tk2d component, and add the same component back in (as a new component), it has the same behavior (so I don't think it's necessarily due to the update from Unity 2017 to 2018?).

So far this seems to only be an issue with the tk2d UI components, not the regular components (example: tk2dBaseSprite is fine, but tk2dUIUpDownButton has the bug). Possibly it's only components that have tk2dUIBaseItemControlEditor.cs as a base class?

Only test project I can provide would be a complete copy of my entire game, which I'm willing to do if that would help, just let me know!

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 12:22:12 pm »
Ran into my first issue.

My project was previously Unity 2017.4.32f1, and I updated it to Unity 2018.4.8f1 and 2D Toolkit v2.5.8.16.

If I edit a prefab that was originally created in Unity 2017, and I modify any tk2d component in the prefab, the changes are not saved in the prefab.

If I modify any non-tk2d component in the prefab after making some changes to tk2d components in the prefab, the tk2d components will be correctly saved/updated in the prefab. So the changes are being recognized, they just aren't triggering a save of the prefab.

If I remove a tk2d component, and add the same component back in (as a new component), it has the same behavior (so I don't think it's necessarily due to the update from Unity 2017 to 2018?).

So far this seems to only be an issue with the tk2d UI components, not the regular components (example: tk2dBaseSprite is fine, but tk2dUIUpDownButton has the bug). Possibly it's only components that have tk2dUIBaseItemControlEditor.cs as a base class?

Only test project I can provide would be a complete copy of my entire game, which I'm willing to do if that would help, just let me know!

Yes please! Happy to fix up if I can get a repro :)
support at unikronsoftware.com