Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2D Toolkit 1.80 Alpha 7  (Read 11489 times)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
2D Toolkit 1.80 Alpha 7
« on: October 04, 2012, 12:27:50 am »
THIS IS AN UNSTABLE ALPHA RELEASE.
PLEASE DO NOT DOWNLOAD UNLESS YOU WANT TO HELP TEST.

Refer to this page on how to install and test this:
http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/forum/index.php/topic,686.0.html

Please don't base your project off this - a few variable names are still due to change, and will undoubtedly break your project.

Features and changelist Changes in this update in italics
Unity 3.5 and above only
Renamed collider types (ForceNone instead of None, UserDefined instead of Unset). Makes a lot more sense.
All mesh leaks plugged, hopefully.
Sprite collection settings page tidied up, added a lot more texture options.
Massive memory saving with large animations (there was a constant overhead, which is now fixed).
New tk2dSystem feature, manages platforms and resources.
Sprite collection can be made loadable - this uses the tk2dSystem resource loading feature, and doesn't need files moved to different locations. The sprite collection can also be loaded by GUID at runtime.
Sprite collections are sorted by name in inspector
Internal data upgrade, slowly moving away from legacy cruft (hopefully still backwards compatible). A message is printed out when sprite collections are upgraded.
Animated sprite bugfix, calling play from an event works.
Runtime sprite collection stuff integrated, use tk2dSprite.CreateFromTexture or tk2dSpriteCollectionData.CreateFromTexture
Switch platfroms in editor in the preferences page. Sprite collections and fonts which have platform data will switch when this is changed.
Sprite collections don't use mipmaps by default.
And loads more small fixes
Unity 4 fixes. Should now work properly with no warnings.
Auto build fixed, and also work for sprite collections with platform specific data. Only the affected sprite collection is rebuilt.
Formatted text implementation, now as it should be. This isn't 100% compatible with the previous version if text is entered in the interface, line breaks may be incorrect, but should be 100% compatible if updated using code.
Fonts in sprite collections try to pick up texture name from bmfont file
Font builder works correctly without requiring renamed textures - it automatically picks up the correct file from the bmfont
Materials are shared properly between sprite collections and fonts, batching should work as expected.
Platform data requirement code should be a lot more stable under weird conditions imposed by Unitys unpredictable script execution order

Limits, bugs and incomplete features
Platforms are limited to 1x and 2x for now. This can be fully customised, but no interface exists right now.
Can't override textures / fonts on other platforms. Is this necessary?
Tilemaps won't work properly with platform specific sprite collections.
Material overrides won't work with platform specific sprite collections.
tk2dSystem.CurrentPlatform needs to be set at runtime before loading anything in

Thanks for all the bug reports so far. Hopefully, I've caught the last stability issues with the core code, and I will be able to transition to beta soon. I'm going to limit the number of further changes going in for 1.80 - I can add them in to 1.81.

Again, the main thing here is to make sure existing projects continue to work properly, and I will be sorting these out as a matter of priority. Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:34:29 am by unikron »

DannyB

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Chicks Ahead
Re: 2D Toolkit 1.80 Alpha 7
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 12:30:22 am »
Woohooo!
I can hear the release train louder and louder..... chooo chooo.... :)

Downloading.

fsadeq

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 04:54:49 am »
I seem to be getting unwanted resolution behaviors on different devices. I just only noticed this after upgrading to Alpha 7, but I very well could just have messed something up by accident. Here is my scenario:

I am testing out the iPhone 5, and have set the tk2dCamera settings to this:

This all looks perfect. When I try to change the Camera Resolution to 960x640 to test out the Wildcard (and also changing the Game View size to 960x640), it looks completely off. The size is way smaller and it doesn't even fill the entire screen. Seems to just scale everything down. It does this on the actual device as well. I didn't have this problem before, and was able to get the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 resolutions working with these settings. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks!

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 12:01:45 am »
Does it look correct on iPhone? If so, I think there may be an issue with the tk2dCamera code, but is highly unlikely to be anything else. Can you email me screenshots of what you see?

fsadeq

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 03:43:25 am »
It doesn't look correct on the iPhone. The scale of everything seems to be smaller than pixel-perfect. When the camera is set to 1136x640, things are rendered pixel perfect. But when I set the camera to 960x640 (leaving the settings like in the screenshot above), everything is scaled smaller, maybe like 70-80% of the pixel perfect. At least it looks the same on the phone as it does in the editor when I preview. Hopefully that makes it easier to figure out what's going on? I'm probably doing something wrong. Can you describe exactly what I should be doing if I want my native resolution to be 1136x640, and then if the device has a resolution of 960x640, to keep the same exact scale (you just see less because it is not as wide). Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:55:59 am by fsadeq »

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 08:48:24 am »
I think what you're seeing is expected behaviour. You have an override in there (wildcard, scale to fit override), so when running on iPhone 4, what I expect to happen is that the whole scene gets squished to fit the width - so, the whole 1136 pixel image is scaled down to 960x541, so yea it will be squished to about 85%.

To get it to draw as it would normally without rescaling, remove the wildcard override. This will clip the top-right of the image (i.e. it'll be anchored to the bottom left), unless you have set up a different anchor somewhere else.

If you still need the override for other devices, add a specific 960x640 override, but set up AutoScale to Fixed (1) and Fit Mode to Center, for it to crop the image for iPhone4.

fsadeq

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 02:57:21 am »
Ah! Yes, you're right. Everything is squared away now, thanks!