Hello Guest

Author Topic: Tilemap Editor Release?  (Read 9643 times)

drGsus

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Tilemap Editor Release?
« on: February 17, 2012, 10:50:17 am »
hey guys,

I'm really amazed, by how quickly you pretty much solved every problem I had with the 2D Toolkit initially. A nice script reference, playing animations at a certain frame, etc.
So my kudos to you. The 2D Toolkit really helps me a lot in my project :).

What I would like to know is, when or if you are planning to release the Tilemap Editor? Since I'm currently working on a game, which utilizes tilesets, this feature would be the icing on the cake for me.

Thanks

fsadeq

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Re: Tilemap Editor Release?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 05:40:13 pm »
I am stoked for this feature. Real curious how it's going to work.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:23:30 pm »
It will the next big release - just need to get these maintenance ones out of the way first.

The one built in will be a fairly simple thing where you can paint tiles in, cut & paste, etc. The nice thing with how everything works internally, is that you can simply set up polygon colliders for each tile like you do with any normal sprite, and a final collision mesh is automatically built for you from your tilemap, making it real handy for a whole bunch of different things.

fsadeq

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 04:20:59 am »
Sounds great. Will you be able to use imported textures, or is it just for the built in painted ones?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:42:35 am »
I'm not sure what you mean by that - the texture source is a sprite collection, so whatever works there will simply work with the Tilemap editor.

drGsus

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 03:47:08 pm »
Does that mean, that every 16*16 tile (for example) has to have its own file, which has to be implemented into a sprite collection?
Is there a way to be able to import large "tilesets", for example a 160*160 image containing of 100 different tiles, which can be painted onto a grid, like a canvas? That would be a real killer feature.
I'm using Unitile for that at the moment, but it isnt really optimal, and the performance is not nearly as good as the tk2d sprites.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 04:18:21 pm »
You should be able to import using the Sprite Sheet feature. It will work as long as there aren't any spaces between individual tiles in there.