Hello Guest

Author Topic: Fastest way to swap animations?  (Read 6784 times)

xtr33me

• View Profile
Fastest way to swap animations?
« on: February 22, 2012, 04:42:25 am »
I have a game similar to bejeweled that I am working on.  I originally had it in 3D, but have recently converted over to 2D.  I have a bunch of cubes that make up the board and each cube has an idle state  image (Single), infected state (animated sprite) and a dead state (single image again).  When my cubes are destroyed I call the below code.  When I was doing this in 3D before, I would just change the material on the renderer and it went very quickly.  Now it seems since I have changed over to 2D, I am getting a huge performance hit when calling the function below.

When I comment out the "anim.Play" line, the performance hit disappears.  What is the best way to change back to my idle image across all blocks destroyed.  I am not allocating any memory.  When I destroy an object, I simply scale the object down, call the method below and then scale it back up.  I also keep track of the id's so I dont have to have 2DToolkit perform a lookup by the string, but that didnt seem to increase performance much.  Guess my overall question is what is the proper way to do this without taking a hit.  Whats happeneing is when I am destroying like 8 cubes at once, it just sits there for literally a couple noticable seconds before continuing.  One last thing I have recently upgraded to 3.5 and not sure if there are any known issues right now with 2dtoolkit and the new version.  I can't say if this was happening in the older version since I have recently changed over to 2D.  Any ideas?

Code: [Select]
    void SetRandomcolor()
    {
        ColorIndex = _boardMgr.GetWeightedRandomColor();

anim.Play(_boardMgr.MyBlockColors[ColorIndex].IdleAnimationIndex);

_boardMgr.MyBlockColors[ColorIndex].NumOnBoard++;
        _boardMgr.PopulateProbabilities();

}
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:20:36 am by xtr33me »

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Fastest way to swap animations?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:17 am »
Hi,

What version of 2D Toolkit are you using? I've had much much more than that working properly on iOS. Playing 8 animations shouldn't slow anything down at all - perhaps there is a bug in the version you are using.

The next thing to see is if it is possible to send me a test case to look at and sort out for you (use support at unikron software) if at all possible, otherwise I will send you more troubleshooting steps to run through to narrow down the problem.

xtr33me

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:41:05 pm »
Thanks Unikron!  I am using the latest, but I did go to verify this morning to make sure and I couldn't update any higher.  If I remememebr it was 1.35.  Even though I bought this when I got Unity, I just downloaded it to use it this week when I was going through the 2D conversion.  I am currently at work, but when I get home tongiht I will try to put togehter a very basic project that I should be able to replcate what I am doing.  I will then send that off to you.  Thanks for your help and I will talk to you later!

xtr33me

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 12:36:23 am »
Well I was putting together the mini project with basic functionality of what I thought was best representing what the issue was and it seems to be having no issues flipping.  It is actually working perfectly.  I guess I need to dig into this further.  I may be contacting you again, but as of now I have to look into this a bit deeper.  Thanks for your reply and help!!

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 09:50:04 am »
Cool. Let me know if it becomes an issue.