3 (0.9%)
Unity 3.5.7 with no intention of updating
8 (2.5%)
Unity 3.5.7 planning to update to 4.x
6 (1.9%)
Unity 4.x
304 (94.7%)

Total Members Voted: 317

Author Topic: Unity Versions  (Read 12218 times)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Unity Versions
« on: May 07, 2013, 11:55:06 pm »
I'm creating this poll to better gauge where to spend engineering efforts for future versions of the software.

This isn't for version 2D Toolkit 2.0, but for later versions. There are quite a few nice features in Unity 4.x which could be used, if not for the fact that we currently have full support for 3.5.7.

MaaS

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Re: Unity Versions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 08:04:38 am »
Hi...

Y voted "Unity 3.5.7 with no intention of updating", because although I will update to 4.0, the main proyect where I'm using 2DTK is on 3.5.7, and we can't change it... also, my teammates and I have iOS+Android addons for Unity 3, but only iOS for Unity 4... so... maybe for the next game, we will see.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 01:59:11 pm »
Based on this poll, it looks only logical to migrate to Unity 4.x in future versions.

2.0 and 2.1 will be fully 3.x compatible, and we'll re-evaluate the situation for 2.2 and above. What it boils down to is - we can do loads more fun stuff when we don't have to worry about 3.x. We're always here to help if you need to back-port a feature to 3.x, so I don't think it will be that bad really.

MaaS

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 02:50:57 pm »
With the recent moves from the Unity team, where Unity 4 ios&android addons are free now, we dont have any problems upgrading to Unity 4...

We have done some succeful tests already, so finally we will use Unity 4.X... :)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 03:00:35 pm »
Excellent news, I guess? :)
Pretty much decided that we will be moving over to Unity 4.x completely after tk2d 2.1 is out. We'll still support those that wish to use 3.x for their projects for as long as it is viable, but it won't be a massive priority as it is now.

TekuStudios

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Teku Studios
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 10:03:54 am »
Sooner or later everyone is going to upgrade to Unity 4.x, it seems logical that further iterations of 2DToolkit are only designed for it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:26:28 pm by TekuStudios »
We are an Indie videogame developer located in Teruel, Spain. A small 6-people team which is currently working on the upcoming 'Candle'.

EskemaGames

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 10:41:44 am »
And right now that is free (the basic licences), there's no turning back in keeping 3.5.7

hippocoder

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 07:28:21 pm »
Better to cut the head off the snake and go 4.x. Because a) 92% of users will directly benefit while the other 8% are already benefitting/locked to 3.x due to existing projects. No doubt they will migrate when the situation changes for them and get bigger benefits than they'd otherwise have.

The real battle here is making users understand this is good for them, even though they can't use it right this second. Bright people will understand this :)

profanicus

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 01:44:36 am »
Unity recently made a big song-and-dance blog post about the quality of their product and how much money they are putting into QA and bug fixes. Hopefully some of these materialise soon, as Unikron has mentioned that some issues pointed out a year ago still aren't fixed in the latest 4 version.

Personally I switched back to 3.5 after hitting that nasty lighting bug with the custom camera matrix, since 4.2 has been such a long time coming and they don't seem to be rolling these fixes into the smaller releases. I'll be glad to go back to 4 once it's actually working properly, but somehow I get the feeling that tk2d 2.2 will be out before that happens... ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 01:52:05 am by profanicus »

CgPanda

• View Profile
    • CgPanda
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 11:22:28 am »
Mostly using 4.x!

artician

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 09:32:29 pm »
I wanted to reply to encourage you not to add any 4.x specific features.  The fact that you still supported 3.x was one of the primary reasons I purchased your plugin today.  Until I have completed the ongoing projects I have in 3.5.7, there's no way I can upgrade to 4.x without severely setting my team back, so even though nearly all your users appear to be using 4.x I'd appreciate it greatly if you didn't go that route.

Thanks for listening.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 09:53:15 pm »
That would be really hard and in be a really bad thing - we are spending significant amounts of resources maintaining 3.5 compatibility and it will make very little sense after Unity release 4.3. 2.3 is likely to be the last version supporting 3.x, but we're always happy to help if you wish to port a feature back - under most circumstances it should be possible.
We'll still support the older versions, so you should be covered if you run into issues.

artician

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 01:23:50 pm »
That makes sense and is understandable.  Just like Unity, I can cling desperately to the last compatible version of 2DtK until any projects I'm using it with are finished.  :)