Hello Guest

Author Topic: Preparing for git?  (Read 4856 times)

Afro-Ninja

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Preparing for git?
« on: July 09, 2013, 10:23:18 pm »
I know this has been covered before but I'm paranoid and want to make sure everything is covered before I lose important files.

I have to turn on meta files to start with. Then, all I need to back up are the Assets and Project Settings directories, right? (everything else ignored with gitignore file)
just want to make sure tk2d or its newest iterations don't have any additional behavior to worry about.

I am currently the only main producer of this project, so I'm not worried about needing to merge scene and prefab files.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Preparing for git?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 10:36:17 pm »
meta files, and maybe switch to text serialization. Makes it a whole lot easier to work out whats gone wrong if it happens. We do this all the time with the tk2d project and other projects, no problems at all so far - and we do some pretty funky merges as well.

Afro-Ninja

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 11:25:16 pm »
I think forcing asset serialization to text is only available with unity pro? I've also heard that it can lead to weird bugs/issues sometimes, but that could just be hear-say.

thanks!

profanicus

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 11:27:06 pm »
Git is awesome. I would recommend using it even if you are not worried about backing up your work. Monodevelop integrates with it so you can see any modifications made to your code, and easily try out big changes without the chance of spoiling anything.

The docs page on version control recommends ignoring the ~tk2droot file and the tk2d resource files within Assets, is this still advised? I don't think it makes much difference either way.

Full text serialization is Pro only, yes, the best free gets is 'mixed'.