Hello Guest

Author Topic: Making levels with objects  (Read 4916 times)

grayger

• View Profile
Making levels with objects
« on: November 06, 2013, 04:15:59 pm »
Hi,

I am making a platformer and finding a solution for making levels.
Each level has many objects with various size. The tilemap of tk2d is grid-based; all tiles should be same in size and there is no object layer.

Till now, I made prefabs of objects and located them on a scene. It is very inconvenient.

Is there any tool for level design (tk2d-friendly)? Should I make my own tool?

Thanks

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Making levels with objects
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 08:55:06 pm »
I'm not sure what kind of level design tool you're describing here. If you need something custom I suggest using the unity/tkd2 positioning tools and build upon and customise that to your needs.

robertwahler

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 09:35:51 pm »
I think what grayger is asking about is a tool like the Tiled (tmx file) editor.  It has object layers as well as tile layers.  Objects can be placed anywhere regardless of the grid square positions. In other game frameworks, you can load multiple tmx files containing both tile layers and objects and only have one "scene" in your game.

I am rather new to Unity and 2D Toolkit. I'm assuming that to get the same functionality in Unity, you could use multiple scenes and treat Unity (rather than Tiled) as your level editor.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 09:57:46 pm »
That makes sense. You can use the tk2d tile map editor for all the regularly spaced apart bits, and simply place normal sprites in the scene where you need them. You can pretty much mix and match at will, and build even more custom stuff on top of that for your game.

grayger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 02:19:24 pm »
Thanks all.

@robertwahler: Yes, Tiled is a good example.
@unikronsoftware:

You can use the tk2d tile map editor for all the regularly spaced apart bits, and simply place normal sprites in the scene where you need them.

Does placing normal sprites mean placing prefabs of the sprites on a stage? In tk2d TileMap implementation, each tile placed is not a prefab but a data which will be loaded to construct a map, isn't it?

Like TileMap view (Paint/Color/Data/Settings), I would like to select a sprite from sprite list, and locate it to a map.
Is it a reasonable feature? If so, I will try to see your code to make a customized one.  :)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 06:38:06 pm »
In tk2d tilemap - each tile is data to construct the map, but can be a prefab too - check the data tab & the tutorial for more details on that. If you want to place sprites that aren't part of the grid, then you'll have to extend the tabs.