Hello Guest

Author Topic: Platform Specific Sprite Collections  (Read 4919 times)

xhtai88

• View Profile
Platform Specific Sprite Collections
« on: November 11, 2013, 03:40:18 am »
Hi Support,

I want to support different resolution for my game. After look at the http://www.unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/doc/2.00/advanced/platform_specific_sprite_collections.html , I still have some confusion.

1. What should I put into resources folder
    a) all my PNG file ( 1x, 2x)
    b) sprite collection data folder (folder created after commit the sprite collection)
    c) sprite collection & sprite animation (if have)

2. I planned to build my project into low res version (1x) and changing the platform to 2x during runtime if detect the higher resolution device. So does it means
    a) both 1x & 2x will include into build   OR
    b) only 1x will include into build and load the 2x into the runtime which means a lot of memory consumption , isn't? (I have 1024 texture X 4 )

Sorry, if my searching skill is not good enough.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Platform Specific Sprite Collections
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 11:40:37 am »
1. Don't put anything in a resources folder.
2. Put all your 2x pngs next to the 1x pngs.
3. Unity will include 1x and 2d into the build, but only the appropriate one will be loaded into memory.

vevusio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 03:20:57 pm »
3. Unity will include 1x and 2d into the build, but only the appropriate one will be loaded into memory.

isn't that pretty bad? i mostly see the point of using x1-4 in releasing content for mobile devices, x1 to support crappy screens like ~320x480 (which is still like the most prevailing), up to x4 to support the latest devices with 1080x1920 resolutions

but if you build an APK for android and you have to include the x1, x2 and x4 textures in that build, that means that for a device like the samsung galaxy ace which only needs the x1 resolution your APK will pack 6 times as many MB in textures as it has to

that must be totally devastating on old devices which run on very little internal storage and often don't have an sd card slot?
which imo is why android supports the multiple apk stuff in the first place http://developer.android.com/google/play/publishing/multiple-apks.html

so how are people dealing with that?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 05:04:11 pm »
Depends on your needs. If your game is really texture heavy and this is an issue, you will probably have to modify this to work with asset bundles.