Hello Guest

Author Topic: How to increase size of textmesh without losing quality?  (Read 3982 times)

arvz

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
How to increase size of textmesh without losing quality?
« on: February 15, 2014, 12:10:38 am »
I'm playing around with the demo scenes, specifically number "6 - button and 3d sprites". Trying to increase the size of the 'Spin Left' text so that for example it covers the entirety of the screen. I can increase the 'Scale' to make it bigger, however this makes the textmesh very pixelated. I've found the DemoFont prefab, and played around with its Size settings, but no matter what I do everytime it makes it big it just makes it really pixelated. How do I do this without losing quality?

Seems like a really basic thing, I'm sure it's actually really obvious..

edit: seems this has something to do with the size of the font texture file maybe?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 01:16:32 am by arvz »

habitoti

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Rombos Homepage
Re: How to increase size of textmesh without losing quality?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 10:15:30 am »
You won't get any more pixel information than the underlying bitmap font provides. Filtering can only flatten so much, and it will look blurred then. So you need to provide at least the largest required font size as a bitmap source. Scaling down also might loose clarity, though, since the original antialias data doesn't scale well, so I provide the most common smaller sizes as additional original bitmaps.
Checkout our homepage or visit the Rombos blog.

arvz

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 11:12:16 am »
so what you're saying is I need to just export a bigger bitmap font image using BMFont?

habitoti

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Rombos Homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 01:48:17 pm »
yup
Checkout our homepage or visit the Rombos blog.