Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2D Multiple Resolution Support  (Read 3611 times)

Ezro

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
2D Multiple Resolution Support
« on: June 19, 2014, 03:47:03 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a game, and am a bit stuck.

I am currently still coding functionality, but the majority of my functionality is built using a temporary GUI, with improper dimensions/scaling. Before I continue with adding the front-end aspects, I would like to iron out my approach on multiple resolution handling.

Background
The game will be a top-down 2D RPG. It is currently being developed for PC, but I would like to be able to port it to mobile devices, and consoles as well. This means that the game would need to have support from very low resolutions, all the way up to HD resolutions.

Character models should be very detailed, as cosmetic items will be a large part of the game; I would ultimately want the game to look crisp on all resolutions, even if it's a lower resolution.

Outstanding Questions
From what I've read, the textures would need to be designed at a base resolution of 960x640 (2x), with a low resolution of 480x320 (1x). If I were to do that, though, I would also need a set at 1920x1080 (4x), for PC support.

• How well would non-vector art scale at non-native resolutions? (Texture clarity at resolutions which aren't 1x, 2x, 4x)
  • How to prevent stretching/skewing when scaling, to prevent relative distances between objects from changing?
  • How well vector art would work for this?
  • How well pre-rendered 3D models would work for this?

Regards,
Ezro

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2D Multiple Resolution Support
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 08:16:38 pm »
4x should be 1920x1280 to be 2x 960x640. It should always be correct multiples or things ar egoing to go funny.

How well would non-vector art scale at non-native resolutions? (Texture clarity at resolutions which aren't 1x, 2x, 4x)
Depends on your art and how much you're bothered by aliasing. I've seen AAA games released with non-perfect scaling...

How to prevent stretching/skewing when scaling, to prevent relative distances between objects from changing?
Relative scales dont change - the 1x 2x and 4x objects are physically the same size, just with more or less detail.

How well vector art would work for this?
How well pre-rendered 3D models would work for this?
Depends on your game and needs. There is no magic answer for this but to simply try it.