Hello Guest

Author Topic: Images + Atlases and Final Release Size Reduction  (Read 4414 times)

kenshin

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Images + Atlases and Final Release Size Reduction
« on: November 05, 2014, 09:24:42 am »
Hi,

I would like to ask a question about image importing and atlassing.

Assume that, I have some 1000 of 1024x1024 images and I use %80 of them in game for 2D sprite animations(approx 4 GB animation source asset) and assume that with png compression those 4GB animations will be will be 1 GB in size when imported in unity.

In addition, as far as I know sprite collections also create an image. Assume that its size will be 1 GB also.

1. ist it true that my animatios will be 1 GB(from imported png image in unity) +  1 GB (2d toolkit sprite collection) roughly  (no use of dicing for to splain stuation clearly) = 2 GB for animations ?

2. if  first question's answer is yes, then there is redundant images, because I dont want to use those source images. I will just use sprites and I dont want them to be in the final release, because I have use sprite collection's images(atlases) and not the imported source images. is this possible(or already possible :) ) ?

3. Assume I use an 20 sprite(frame) animation (all from different collections) will there be a lag when first run the animation ? will it load them from disk and drop my fps and smoothnes of object ? If yes, need advice pls.

4. How many frames (assume 1 sprite in each sprite collection) can 2dtoolkit handle in 24 fps or 30 fps roughly. For example can I use total of 200 framed animations (200 sprites in 200 sprite collecitons) in ipad 2 or mini or .. ? just roughly answer from your experiences pls ?

5. To reduce image size, should I use color as transparency (for example magenta as background) when importing ?

6. Finally what dou you suggest to reduce final release size and how to manage big sprites with atlases ?

And .. this is a great product unikron made. thanks. keep up good work pls.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:37:34 am by kenshin »

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Images + Atlases and Final Release Size Reduction
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 11:49:21 am »
1. In unity, yes.
2. tk2d won't use the source images.
3. Likely, you should probably warm up the cache by playing the animation in the background / displaying the sprites at least once.
4. It sounds like you want video here? tk2d does sprites well, but 32bit Unity will run out of memory quickly.
5. Alpha = transparency, thats what we use.
6. Depends on what you want to do, 1000 1k images is a LOT of sprites, what kind of game is this?

kenshin

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 11:58:31 pm »
I am very appreciated that  I had responses very very fast:)

I just want to understand the 2d limits. So i used fringe examples. I just evaluate to go 3d chars or old style choice for a fighter game.

As a conclusion at final build I can delete source images and It won't be problem for tk2d.

Thanks for help.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 10:01:49 am »
- As a conclusion at final build I can delete source images and It won't be problem for tk2d.
You shouldn't delete the source images, but tk2d will not include them in the build