Hello Guest

Author Topic: tk2d camera with scaled down sprites  (Read 4019 times)

Porthos

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
tk2d camera with scaled down sprites
« on: October 20, 2012, 03:10:30 am »
I am making a snes type game and so, using the 2k2d camera, I have an apparent resolution of about 456 by 256, but I am actually targeting 16:9 resolutions much higher than that.

I want resolution in a few of my objects that is higher than the apparent resolution.

I thought an easy way to do this would be to simply scale down larger sprites in the sprite collection, however, this leads to artifacting around the scaled down sprite. What would be a better way to do this?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: tk2d camera with scaled down sprites
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 10:12:46 am »
How are you scaling these objects? Also, are you scaling by a multiple of 2?
What filtering mode are you using as well?

What kind of artefacts are you seeing?

Porthos

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 06:12:45 pm »
I was scaling using the scale boxes in the sprite collection editor. As an extreme test, I was scaling down from 10x. I was NOT using a picture size that was a multiple of 2, I was using a picture size of 240 x 240.

So, I had a sprite of 24 x 24. I scaled it up in Photoshop by a factor of 10 such that every apparent pixel was made of 10 actual pixels. I dropped that into a sprite collection and set the scale boxes to .1 .1 .1. The size is right, but there is kinda a grey shadow around the edge.

As far as filtering, I may not know what that is. I am using point sampled, but not premultiplied alpha.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 08:14:23 am »
Can you please post a screenshot of this? What hardware are you running? (Found a potential issue on certain macs...)