Hello Guest

Author Topic: Crash on Import with Latest Versions  (Read 9893 times)

vantigo

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Crash on Import with Latest Versions
« on: October 31, 2013, 04:19:40 pm »
I just got a new laptop, a Lenovo Z710 running Windows 8. I downloaded Unity version 4.2.2f1 and opened some of my old projects, and everything works fine. I have a project that was using 2D Toolkit that failed to open. Unity crashed before the scene would come up. I don't recall which version of 2D Toolkit was in that project. I bought it a few months ago, I think, when it was on sale.

I registered my copy on this forum and downloaded the latest versions and tried to import them one at a time. 2.2.3 & 2.2 final, and in both cases I also tried the source only version.

In the case of the source only versions, everything appeared to be downloading properly until "Importing Small Assets". At which point Unity crashes with the "Unity Editor has stopped working" dialog.

Between each attempt I would delete the TK2DROOT folder from the otherwise empty project.

In the case of the 2.2.3 full package, Unity crashed while attempting to import "TK2DROOT\tk2d_demo\democameradata\source\window.png".

If I uncheck the "TK2DROOT\tk2d_demo\" folder and attempt to import, Unity crashes at "TK2DROOT\tk2dUI_demo\Assets\Dark\Sprites\slider_button.png".

If I uncheck both the "TK2DROOT\tk2d_demo\" and the "TK2DROOT\tk2dUI_demo" folders, Unity crashes at "TK2DROOT\tk2dTileMap_demo\Demo1\Textures\smallPlantIcon.png".

If I uncheck every demo folder, Unity crashes at "Importing Small Objects".

I've gotten the same results with 2.2.3 as with 2.2 final.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you have that could fix this. It's possible that it's a hardware issue, as I'm not yet familiar with the quirks of this new laptop, but I haven't had any crashes on any Unity projects I have that aren't running 2D Toolkit.

If the answer is to download an older version of Unity, that could be acceptable.

Thanks for your help.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Crash on Import with Latest Versions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 04:26:59 pm »
This is really strange. There have been a few reports of crashes with latest versions, but I have been unable to reproduce them. In almost every case its been because of a corrupted download, but if you're getting this repeatedly then perhaps not?

What happens if you create a brand new unity project and import source only? Does that work?
Secondly, does your laptop have 2 graphics chips and does it switch between intel -> geforce or similar? If so try forcing it to discreet only and try again.

vantigo

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 04:38:07 pm »
Open Unity, File > New Project. Download "2dtoolkit2.2.3_src_only.unitypackage". Import. Everything seems to be importing until "Importing small assets". The progress bar appears to be about 95% full.

Aha! Searching for potential discrete graphics problems, I came across the following http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/499583/why-is-my-fresh-unity-42-crashing-on-windows-8.html#answer-500945

It seems I was having a problem with DirectX, and the solution suggested above allows me to import the source or the full package of 2D Toolkit.

nanun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 09:45:50 am »
I also have same problem.
I'm newbie at unity world, and 2d toolkit as well.

I always met same crash alert window when I start unity 3d.
I met the first crash when I was importing 2d toolkit.
after that, I have met always the crash alert.

I can see two windows when crash.
First window, the title is "Hold on", and text of the body is "TK2DROOT\tk2d_demo\democameradata\source\window.png".
The another window, the title is "Hold on", and body have some notifications about crash.

follow is my environments.
- windows 8 uefi 64bit. (Korean version)
- unity3d 4.2.2f1 (just downloaded and installed from official website)
- 2d toolkit (I bought today)
- clevo w650sh notebook(laptop)
  -* i7-4700mq (cpu.  and it included internal graphic card ; HD4600)
  -* optimus technology (which means have two graphic cards; HD4600 + gt740 2g ddr3)
  -** I can NOT control to use one of them(internal or external graphic card.) (have no mux system, no control signal to switch them)

How I can do to solve this problem?

thanks.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 10:49:12 am »
This is an issue with Unity. Hopefully, they will fix this in the next release.

You could try this:
http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/499583/why-is-my-fresh-unity-42-crashing-on-windows-8.html

Apparently it works better on that chipset in DX11 mode. You can do that by modifying your unity shortcut, adding "-force-d3d11" as a parameter.

Some more stuff here:
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/192062-4-2-crash-problems/page3
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:51:06 am by unikronsoftware »

Kurius

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 01:33:40 am »
This is STILL an issue  :(
I created my game on a Mac.  Now I'm trying to transfer my game to a PC running Win8.  Unity hangs on "Hold On: Importing Small Assets". 

Here are my stats…
2Dtoolkit version: 2.4.0
Unity version: 4.3.4
PC…
Brand: Lenovo T410
Processor: Intel Core i5 M540 @2.53GHz
RAM: 4GB
Graphics Card: Intel integrated graphics

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 10:36:07 am »
Have you tried that force dx11 fix suggested on that thread?

Kurius

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 02:40:35 pm »
Yes I tried that force DirectX11.  I starting to think the problem is that I don't have a dedicated graphics card.  I only have an integrated graphics card.  Nevertheless, I think this issue occurs when 2Dtoolkit tries to run SpriteCollectionBuilder upon Unity starting up.  Is there any way around this?  Perhaps prevent SpriteCollectionBuilder from automatically running, then execute it manually later, after my project successfully loads in Unity?  Thanks

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 03:17:34 pm »
Theres an option to turn it off, in preferences, but you need to start up unity first with tk2d installed.
You can disable it in tk2dSpriteCollectionTextureWatcher,  comment out this line tk2dSpriteCollectionBuilder.RebuildOutOfDate(importedAssets);

Kurius

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 04:32:43 am »
Actually your suggestion in a different post, did the trick!  ;D
I simply opened a blank new project in Unity, then went to the 2Dtoolkit menu -> Preferences, and unchecked Auto Rebuild!  Then I opened up my project and Unity started up successfully!
Thanks again!

TeenyRex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 08:49:29 pm »
oh. my. god. THANK YOU!!!

Been having this problem for about a week now and it showed up out of the blue.  Just suddenly would infinite import small assets on one project.  Had to delete the library in the project folder and redownload everything from the cache server.

Turned off Unity preference auto refresh and it sorta worked but turning off 2D Toolkit's auto rebuild completely fixed the problem. <3 yayy!