Hello Guest

Author Topic: A few questions about mixing Unity2D with tk2d.  (Read 4066 times)

LaserDinosaur

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
A few questions about mixing Unity2D with tk2d.
« on: November 23, 2013, 05:29:00 am »
Hi there!

I have a few questions about 2D toolkit before buying a copy if you don't mind :)

1) If I use a tk2D sprite, does that limit anything you can do in the Unity editor? For example, animations, sorting/managing layers etc.

2) If I use the built in Unity2D sprite, can I still use the sprites from a sprite collection?

3) Does a tk2D sprite work fine with other 2D components of Unity2D like RigidBody2D and/or Box Collider 2D?

For the most part I'd be fine using all of the tools tk2D provide over Unity2D, I just want to make sure I'm not going to paint myself into a corner where I find out 3 months from now that Unity's collision detection system only work with their sprites :)

Thanks!

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions about mixing Unity2D with tk2d.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 07:25:46 pm »
1. You can't animate colour using the Unity animation editor. You can adjust sorting / layers fine with tk2d sprites, and they sort correctly with Unity sprites too.
2. Yes you can use them in the same scene, but you can't share the atlases. Not yet anyway, the plan is to support that when Unity add the necessary API functions.
3. Yup! Simply switch the physics engine in the sprite collection editor to 2D and BoxCollider2D / PolygonCollider2D get created. Simple :)

LaserDinosaur

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions about mixing Unity2D with tk2d.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 08:05:58 pm »
Awesome awesome, thanks for the replies :)

I'll be buying my copy this afternoon then :D

Side note, the integration with 4.3 is a great move for tk2D. As Unity2D adds more stuff to the API I suspect that tk2D will always be a step ahead. So yeah, as someone new to tk2D I think this plugin has a bright future ahead of it (which I mention in response to some doom-sayers on the unity forums I've seen declaring "All 2D plugins are dead! Run for the hills!) :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:08:01 pm by LaserDinosaur »